Old April 8th 09, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chad Harris[_8_]

Default Is there a way to install Vista on an old PC that has no DVD drives?

I forgot to mention, I installed a new Sony Internal DVD after I got an
External DVD when Vista was beginning its Beta and realized I could not boot
Vista from an external DVD. But remember the other things I had to do to
that box to make Vista run well (more expensive RAM, a new Video Card if you
want to see the Aero eye candy (if not you don't need it) and a new PSU to
allow it to boot with the new video card. You can get DVDs cheap, but I
wanted mine to last so I sprung for a top of the line Sony and I've loved
it's performance.

CH

"Ant" wrote in message
Hello.

I have an old Dell Dimension 8250 test PC that I would like to install
Vista onto. However, it has no DVD drives. I cannot even boot from
external USB drives (3.5" disk drive, external HDDs, and DVD burner
drive -- CMOS doesn't see them and found out PC doesn't support bootable
USB devices).

However, I do have enough HDD space (30 GB free on second partition) to
copy Vista DVD (or make an ISO file) onto it through network (will take a
while).

Thank you in advance.
--
"Ants can lift up to 50 times their own weight. And your monitor is
missing. Time to bring out the bugspray." --BBspot's Geek Horoscopes
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or