Old April 9th 09, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chad Harris[_8_]

Default Is there a way to install Vista on an old PC that has no DVD drives?

While Senator Hinojosa's problems were not specified, many of the problems
he referred to could be easily solved if the crackers in Texas got some help
from people who know what they're doing from the MSFT campus or from
somewhere in Austin.

This falls in the broad category of what I call Vista paranoia without
actually testing and using Vista. This whole scheme of "a lot of problems"
touted predominantly by people who don't have a minimal amount of computer
skill was very unfortunate. Part of it was propelled by 3rd party driver and
hdw manufacturers dragging their feet on drivers, predomininatly 64 bit
drivers too long after Vista RTM'd in 2007.

Another force is that since there has been about half the time between
Vista's RTM and the iminent release of Windows 7, with its release of RC1
to the public a short time away given the CPU efficiency and stability of
the Beta of Windows 7, many people, governments and medium/large enterprises
included are now electing to wait for the RTM of Windows 7.

I help a number of "friends"/and aquaintances with their boxes who have
dissed Vista without really trying it, only to find that every one of their
problems were solvable in minutes and the problems were with them not Vista
or MSFT.

This reminds me of the Mohave project.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mojave-experiment/

CH

"Adam Albright" wrote in message
Vista needs a modern, well specified system. What you are planning is a
waste of time and money..

Microsoft claims their crap OS can run on a 800 mhz computer with 512 mb
ram!

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8250/specs.htm

Microprocessor type
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 microprocessor that runs at 2.0 GHz internally and 400
MHz
externally; or 2.26, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533
MHz externally

Vista needs a modern, well specified system. What you are planning is a
waste of time and money..

WRONG! Vista is a waste of time and money!

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-a...adds-anti-vist

Texas has added a rider to its state budget requiring written
authorization
before buying Windows Vista.

In Texas, apparently, the state government doesn't like Windows Vista. In
fact they dislike it so much that a State Senator has added a rider to the
state budget that would require any state body, with the exception of
schools, to have written authorization before buying Vista.

The rider, proposed by Juan Hinojosa, was adopted without objection, and
the
budget is expected to be passed this week.

Senator Hinojosa told the San Antonio News:

"We have a lot of problems with the Vista program."

"It had a lot of bugs. It takes up a lot of memory. It's not compatible
with
other equipment, and it's supposed to be an upgrade from the XP program
that
is being used by state agencies, and it's not."

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote in message
"Ant" wrote in message
Hello.

I have an old Dell Dimension 8250 test PC that I would like to install
Vista onto. However, it has no DVD drives. I cannot even boot from
external USB drives (3.5" disk drive, external HDDs, and DVD burner
drive -- CMOS doesn't see them and found out PC doesn't support bootable
USB devices).

However, I do have enough HDD space (30 GB free on second partition) to
copy Vista DVD (or make an ISO file) onto it through network (will take
while).

Thank you in advance.
--
"Ants can lift up to 50 times their own weight. And your monitor is
missing. Time to bring out the bugspray." --BBspot's Geek Horoscopes
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Vista needs a modern, well specified system. What you are planning is a
waste of time and money..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/