A Windows Vista forum. Vista Banter

Welcome to Vista Banter.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to ask questions and reply to others posts, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Home » Vista Banter forum » Microsoft Windows Vista » Hardware and Windows Vista
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hardware and Windows Vista Hardware issues in relation to Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices)

Green Screen crash



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 26th 07, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jremmc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Green Screen crash

New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

Thanks,
jremmc
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 26th 07, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carey Frisch [MVP]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,587
Default Green Screen crash

Chat with HP Support:
http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/cu...&cc=us&lang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

---------------------------------------------------------------

"jremmc" wrote in message ...
New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

Thanks,
jremmc
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 26th 07, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jremmc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Green Screen crash

oh, I did that before I posted. HP will do usual; simply reformat and
reinstall OS, test and then return to me. Even tech I spoke with said that,
and also said there's no guarantee they will find or fix issue since it
happens randomly and it might not happen when at HP. I have to go thru that
process and get laptop back and have it happen again, and return for new
memory, and then/or new motherboard, before HP will replace entirely.

What I would like to know is, has anyone here seen the green screen crash
and if so, what was cause?

Thanks,
jremmc


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

Chat with HP Support:
http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/cu...&cc=us&lang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

---------------------------------------------------------------

"jremmc" wrote in message ...
New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

Thanks,
jremmc

  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,972
Default Green Screen crash

jremmc wrote:
oh, I did that before I posted. HP will do usual; simply reformat and
reinstall OS, test and then return to me. Even tech I spoke with said that,
and also said there's no guarantee they will find or fix issue since it
happens randomly and it might not happen when at HP. I have to go thru that
process and get laptop back and have it happen again, and return for new
memory, and then/or new motherboard, before HP will replace entirely.

What I would like to know is, has anyone here seen the green screen crash
and if so, what was cause?


"jremmc" wrote in message ...
New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.


That's a very good description of hardware failure. It could be your
laptop is overheating in general, the video chip is bad, and/or the
monitor is bad. In any case, you should return this machine for
repair/replacement since it is new.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 27th 07, 12:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,428
Default Green Screen crash

What Malke said.

No new machine should behave that way, it's most likely a hardware failure.
This is not uncommon, as new components sometimes will fail immediately, and
sometimes last for years before there is an issue. Use the warranty and
return it or exchange it for a different system.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"jremmc" wrote in message
...
New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got
it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed
as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting
BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text
on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn
off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista
did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous
shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone
has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

Thanks,
jremmc


  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 27th 07, 01:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
usasma
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 137
Default Green Screen crash

Most major retailers have a "no lemon" policy to replace your system if it's
a "lemon' (although their rules for replacing it vary). I would suggest
contacting the retailer to see what their conditions are.

- John

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

What Malke said.

No new machine should behave that way, it's most likely a hardware failure.
This is not uncommon, as new components sometimes will fail immediately, and
sometimes last for years before there is an issue. Use the warranty and
return it or exchange it for a different system.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"jremmc" wrote in message
...
New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got
it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed
as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting
BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text
on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn
off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista
did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous
shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone
has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

Thanks,
jremmc



  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 29th 07, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ken Zhao [MSFT]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 247
Default Green Screen crash

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I think this issue should be cause by failure hardware
device. Please contact HP hardware support to see if they have any
information.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support
Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security http://www.microsoft.com/security
================================================== ==
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
================================================== ==
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.




 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6
Copyright 2004-2019 Vista Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.