Printer Setup Problem

Old October 27th 07, 10:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John[_15_]

Default Printer Setup Problem

I am having trouble setting up my printer, a HP DeskJet 5550, on my new
Vista machine. It runs through a Linksys WPS54G printer server. My old XP
machine, sitting right here next to me, prints through it with no
difficulties. I've tried everything I can think of. Can someone help me?

Old October 28th 07, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke

John wrote:
I am having trouble setting up my printer, a HP DeskJet 5550, on my new
Vista machine. It runs through a Linksys WPS54G printer server. My old
XP machine, sitting right here next to me, prints through it with no
difficulties. I've tried everything I can think of. Can someone help me?

What does "everything I can think of" include?

General directions:

1. Install Vista drivers for the print server (get from print server
mftr's website) on the Vista computer.
2. Install Vista drivers for the printer (get from printer mftr.'s
website) on the Vista computer.

Does your print server support Vista? If not, there's your answer. If it
is supposed to, what does Linksys tech support say?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old October 28th 07, 12:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John[_15_]

I've tried setting it up using the installation disks that came with the
print server and manually setting up a TCP/IP port (duplicating my XP
settings). As for it being "Vista ready", I have plugged the printer
directly into the computer (USB) and Vista installed the drivers and had me
printing in less than 2 minutes!

Old October 28th 07, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke

John wrote:
I've tried setting it up using the installation disks that came with the
print server and manually setting up a TCP/IP port (duplicating my XP
settings). As for it being "Vista ready", I have plugged the printer
directly into the computer (USB) and Vista installed the drivers and had
me printing in less than 2 minutes!

Since the printer works when directly connected to the computer, you
know the issue is with the print server. Go to Linksys' website for the
latest drivers for the print server and download them. Also download any
firmware updates for the print server. Uninstall the print server
drivers you installed on the Vista machine first.

Apply the firmware update, if any.
Install the new drivers for the print server.

If still no joy, contact Linksys tech support for help with the print
server.

Malke

Old October 30th 07, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John[_15_]

Tried everything you recommended. Still no go. I'm at a dead end. The
printer works fine when plugged directly into the Vista machine.

Old October 30th 07, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke

John wrote:
Tried everything you recommended. Still no go. I'm at a dead end. The
printer works fine when plugged directly into the Vista machine.

Then I'm sorry, but aside from contacting Linksys tech support I don't
have any other suggestions.

Malke
Old October 30th 07, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John[_15_]

I do appreciate your help. I'm about to contact Linksys's support and see if
they can help. Thanks!

Old October 31st 07, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Rednut05

If this is for the wired Linksys print server. Then it does support
Vista 64.

Not 100% about Vista 32 as that's is not the OS I'm running.

I brought it to go between a Vista 64 and a XP machine. The XP machine
ran from it fine but the 64 bit didn't. Gave me some sort of error
message in the late stages of installing, I think it was I had to pair
the computer to the printer through the server.

In contacting Linksys I was told that they may release a 64 bit driver
but got given no date, just a maybe. I pressed for a estimate to no
avail.

So now we have two computers, two USB cables, one printer and a manual
swap over of the connected lead system going on. Most annoy as I have
£40 odd quid of box sitting next to me gathering dust.

I'm keeping it on the off chance there will be a driver as they erred
towards one coming out but didn't say where.

David

--
Rednut05