Old April 21st 09, 09:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dave24x

Default External HDD. Please help me

Righto. I have an external HDD - Western Digital Elements 500GB. I
formatted it to NTFS a while back. The HDD itself is fine.

Vista Ultimate x64 has serious issues though. I am administrator, yet
suddenly I cannot rename any file. I can't press F2, I can't right-click
and do Rename (it isn't even on the right click menu), it isn't on the
toolbar menu, just gone.

I've been renaming files all week just fine. Now this. It happened last
week sometime too. Also sometimes it randomly decides that I can't add
or delete anything to the drive.

When I go into the Security settings, it says Admin has full privilege.
When I try to set full privilege on User, I get an error message for
*every file on the disk* saying that the file is Write Protected. It is
not. Well it shouldn't be.

This is another problem. Vista decides that every file on there should
be set to Read Only. I uncheck the box, and it re-checks it when I
reopen it.

What is Vista's problem? Why can't it just let me do what I want to do?

--
dave24x