Windows cannot find a file error message.

Old October 29th 07, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dj Rawlings

Default Windows cannot find a file error message.

Vista windows will not open an excel file from recent items or other document
windows. It does open the application itself and then displays the error
window "Windows cannot find 'C\( path to the file)\_____.xls. Make sure you
typed the name correctly and try again." Windows search will show the file,
but it goes through the same thing when it is clicked. The files can be
opened within excel application itself. All other files seem to open alright.

Dj Rawlings
Old October 29th 07, 03:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jabez Gan [MVP]

Not sure but, are you sure that you are actually opening the actual file
instead of the shortcut to the file? The shortcut might be outdated...

--
Jabez Gan
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - File Storage

Old October 29th 07, 12:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dj Rawlings[_2_]

Thanks for responding Jabez.
The locations where I am having trouble are the Documents window and the
Recent Items window in the Start menu. I assume that the files shown in
those windows might be shortcuts. I use those windows to navigate to the
various files and folders that I would desire. I have no problem with other
file types just the excel files. If the shortcuts are outdated, how would
you updated all of the files. I have alot of excel files in a lot of
different file folders.
Dj Rawlings

Old October 29th 07, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jabez Gan [MVP]

Hi Dj Rawlings,

Right click Recent Items and select "Clear Recent Item List".

Now, go to the folder which stores your files and open them.

Now, go back to Recent Items and you'll see those shortcuts. Click on those
shortcuts and see if it will open the actual files.

--
Jabez Gan
Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - File Storage
news

Old October 30th 07, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dj Rawlings[_2_]

I cleared the recent items window and used some of the excel files, I even
created and saved some new files. Then tried opening them from the Recent
Items window, the same thing would occur--the excel application would open
with out a spread sheet and the file cannot be found message would appear. I
want to mentioned that the same problem occurs with the main documents
window. The only way the excel file can be opened is through the excel
application itself. There seems to be an issue between windows and excel.
Maybe when the shortcuts are created or something is blocking excels
shortcuts. I am not really knowledgeable to know how to resolve this thing.
Do you have any other ideals that I can try?

I have also restored my computer to an earlier date. That didn't work either.

Dj Rawlings

Old October 30th 07, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jane C

Hi,

Does this shed any light on the issue?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

Old October 30th 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dj Rawlings[_2_]

Jane C
Here is a toast to you! It is working perfectly.

Thank you much,
DJ Rawlings

Old October 31st 07, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Jane.

Thanks for that! Another poster is having a similar problem. I'll see if
this will help him, too. ;)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64)

Old November 18th 07, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
capgar

This solution may work for Excel but it does not work for Word. The first
time I click on the file name in my documents folder, I get the error message
(this also occurs in e-mail). The second time I click on the file it
actually opens. I haven't seen a solution out there yet. Does anyone know
of one for Word?

Thanks...Chris