Old May 14th 09, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aldo

Default USB Drive can't be removed

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

"RalfG" escribió en el mensaje de

"Dave T." wrote in message
Aldo wrote:
Thanks for your answers. No, I insert the drive after I boot Windows.
This is a USB hard drive , not a Zip drive. Thanks for your help, maybe
I'll have to live with this problem, since I need this program.

I wonder if the "program" they're talking about is windows Explorer? I
have the same scenario on the LaCie 150 gig external that I use for
backup, and when the backup is done I like to shut it off and disconnect
for storage but I get the same message.

Dave T.

I also think it is related to the same locked files/handles issue that has
been around since XP. Being media files in this case the media library
indexing could be involved too. I've used Process explorer to find file
handles that shouldn't be open on a USB drive and closed them manually.
That at least worked to release the drive.