Old May 28th 09, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

Default USB Drive can't be removed

Stopped watching this thread after the previous post...

In Process Explorer, make sure that the lower pane is enabled and set to
show file handles-- from the View menu select Show Lower Pane and under
that - select Lower Pane View -Show Handles.

Then also from the top menu - select Find- Find Handle or Dll -- Enter in
the driver letter of the locked drive ( eg. E: ) The program will search for
all open handles or DLLs on E: drive. When you click on each item it
displays in the Find list Process Explorer will also highlight the same item
in the lower pane where you can right-click and close the open handle. When
all the open file handles are closed you should be able to shut down the USB
drive normally.

"Aldo" wrote in message
I tried using this program, but it's a little difficult for me. Could you
please explain a little more about how to find those "file handles"? TIA

"RalfG" escribió en el mensaje de

"Dave T." wrote in message
Aldo wrote:
Thanks for your answers. No, I insert the drive after I boot Windows.
This is a USB hard drive , not a Zip drive. Thanks for your help, maybe
I'll have to live with this problem, since I need this program.

I wonder if the "program" they're talking about is windows Explorer? I
have the same scenario on the LaCie 150 gig external that I use for
backup, and when the backup is done I like to shut it off and disconnect
for storage but I get the same message.

Dave T.

I also think it is related to the same locked files/handles issue that
has been around since XP. Being media files in this case the media
library indexing could be involved too. I've used Process explorer to
find file handles that shouldn't be open on a USB drive and closed them
manually. That at least worked to release the drive.