Hard drive light constantly flashing ,reading hard drive during id

Old May 12th 08, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Default Hard drive light constantly flashing ,reading hard drive during id

Use the Performance and Reliability Monitor in Adminstrative Tools to get an
idea of what is going on with the drive activity. This gave me useful info
and a suggested course to take in a similar situation. I found out that the
system was spending excessive time writing to the page file and followed the
suggestion in the report.

"4evrnyt" wrote in message

3gb.

it usually starts when the computer is just sitting idle. Internet
Explorer doesnt' seem to interrupt it but If I start a game it usually
stops. If I go into sleep mode, the hard drive will continue to run
almost immediately after waking it up. i also have turned off
powerboost.
Colin Barnhorst;3727131 Wrote:
How much memory do you have? If you have 2GB or less then I am not
surprised the hard drive runs constantly and it still will no matter
what
you turn off. It is paging to virtual memory on the hard drive. The
solution is to add more memory so that the system does not have to
keep
moving things back and forth.

"4evrnyt" wrote in message

I am having the same issue with Vista 64-bit but I've turned off
indexing and superfetch and the hard drive is still running all the
time when I'm not doing anything on the computer.

What is there to disable to get it to stop doing this?

--
4evrnyt

4evrnyt's Profile:

http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48926
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=846798

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 14th 08, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
IkidUnot

Default Hard drive light constantly flashing ,reading hard drive durin

I've seen McAffee do this on my computer from time to time. Regardless
though, you can find out by using something to see what's using resources. A
good example: At Sysinternals.com you can get Process Explorer. It's a
great little utility to see what's going on. Try it, let us know...
--
-me.
Let this forum know if this helps or if you figure out the problem, so

Old May 17th 08, 07:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
James Truelove[_2_]

I upgraded my Acer Aspire from 1Gig to 2 Gig when I purchased it and have
not had any low memory issues that I can detect. I guess it depends what
software you run and how memory intensive the software is. But it is amazing
how much memory you need considering my first 386 computer only had 1MB and
I thought upgrading to 2MB was cutting edge!

James

Old June 17th 08, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rb

Close all applications. Run Perfmon. Click on Disk. Click on disk
Write. If your system sits "idle" long enough you should eventually
see disk write drop off to nothing. If not, look to see what is causing
disk IO. Turning off Superfetch and indexing on your fixed disk
drive(s) kills lots of disk IO without effecting system performance.

The "hard drive light" can indicate more than just fixed disk activity.
If your case IO light keeps blinking about once a second after disk
write activity stops then there is no disk activity - the problem may be
the SATA/IDE chipset IO polling related to your CD/DVD drive. If this
is the case disconnect the SATA or IDE connection to your CD/DVD drive.
Does this reduce of eliminate "apparent" IO activity?

What is your motherboard brand/model and the SATA/IDE chipset(s) on the
motherboard?

Old September 19th 08, 11:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Logoschild

RB, you seem to have given the best advice here, sir. I am having the
same issue as described above--the drive light blinks about every second
when nothing is apparently going on and no apps are visibly running
(other than whatever background apps are running). This is occurring on
a brand-new, virus-free Toshiba laptop with a P7350 Duo 2 processor with
4 GB of DDR3 RAM and Vista 64. Perfmon shows the activity and also
shows a constant processor util of about 4%-7%. The used resources
(memory) stat is about 30% (so, apparently, Vista is a major resource
hog, I guess). The only thing that appears to be accessing the drive is
the operating system, but I may be missing something because it's hard
to look at all that in a glance and I haven't searched out every line to
see exactly what it is. What say you for my situation?

P.S. I have also noticed that the mouse (touchpad) pointer appears to
skip a beat every now and then and/or appear to freeze momentarily. I
just plugged in an external mouse to see if it does the same with the
mouse (to determine if the problem is with the touchpad or my
comfortability with it rather than a system performance problem).

Thanks in advance,
Logos Child

--
Logoschild
Logoschild's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/logoschild.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 20th 08, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

If it is a brand new Vista system then it will take it about a week to
complete indexing the driver for rapid retrieval of data by Vista. The
indexing process only runs when other applications are not running which is
exactly the symptom you are reporting.

Old September 20th 08, 01:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Lots of stuff run in the background with Vista. It is not likely you will
ever get to a point that the disk light does not flash occasionally. It
indexes the drives, defrags the drives, relocates most used stuff to the
fastest part of the drive, it builds lists of most used apps, it checks for
updates, it phones home for validation, ..... The list is much longer. The
point is that it is NOT XP, and don't expect to make it act like XP.
Flashing drive lights are what Vista does.

Good luck.

Old March 27th 09, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jimojimo

It is the CD or DVD ROM.

Try going to the Safely Remove hardware (even though it may not be a
usb) and do Stop on the CD or DVD listed.

If you don't see it there and want to verify that this is indeed it,
just disconnect the ribbon cable, reboot. You'll notice the blinking is
gone.

I don't know exactly why--I think on some OS's and some DVD/CD units,
the os constantly checks it--it might be as the DVD unit gets
older--i've had this happen twice--always after about a year from when I
got the dvd unit.
--Jim

--
jimojimo
jimojimo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85464.htm

Old February 16th 10, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Roller2105

Hi,

My experience is exactly like yours - I fitted a 'LightScribe' DVD/CD
drive to my computer and the HD ran continuously. I removed it and
everything was back to normal - then put it in my other machine and it
also caused the hard drive to run continuously - removed it and back to
normal.

JM

--
Roller2105