Old June 3rd 09, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Default Dual Boot Instructions

Hi, again, David.

In this post you are mixing apples and oranges. :(

EITHER:

You choose Microsoft's built-in system for multi-booting, which I've
described (at length) in this thread. This always boots from the same
System Partition on the same HDD each time and presents a menu.

OR

You create multiple System Partitions, one on each HDD, and reset the BIOS
before each reboot. Each System Partition boots only a single OS, either
WinXP or Vista. So far as I know (I haven't used this much), this does not
offer a menu; you must reboot - and reset the boot device in the BIOS - each
time.

Using the built-in system, and assuming a single installation of Vista and a
single installation of WinXP, the opening menu (simplified) would look like
this:

Which system would you like for this session:
Earlier version of Windows
Windows Vista

If you choose Vista, Vista will be loaded and started.
If you choose "earlier", WinXP will be loaded and started.

I like the built-in system better, but the choice is yours.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"DavidG" wrote in message
Hi DL,

I really like your instructions, they are pure and simple. Why are so
many
of the other responses so detailed and technical? I don't get it. So all
have to do is disconnect the Vista drive from the motherboard, install the
brand new drive and boot from the XP CD in order to install it. Then,
once
XP is installed, I shut down the PC. OK, then, I power the PC on and I
have
to go to into the BIOS and select which HDD to boot. Question. How do I
set
up a menu choice like 1) Vista,
2) XP, and away it goes, how do I do that?

"DL" wrote:

The 'cleanest way' would be to disconnect your Vista drive then install
winxp as per normal, if its to a sata drive you may have to use the F6
option to install sata controler drivers from floppy early in the
installation process.
Once done and updated, shutdown, reconnect Vista drive.
On booting you use the Bios options shortcut to select which drive to
boot
from

"DavidG" wrote in message
Hi
I'm wanting to create a dual boot for my PC. I would like to use 2
separate
HDDs. One HDD has Vista Business (current) and the other proposed HDD
will
have XP. I would like to locate some good user-friendly instructions
on
how
to do this by downloading from a web site, or maybe someone on the
group
has
a set of instructions. Could someone assist please? Is there a good
site
on
this topic?

I have tried Virtual PC 2007 but I cannot get the screen to enlarge to
any
extent. Full screen mode fails every time I try it. Anyway, I figure
the
twin HDDs would be the cleanest way to go. One more thing, I plan on
upgrading the Vista installation to Windows 7 when released, would
there
be
issues with the dual boot when installing Win 7??
Thanks