Unable to remove network printer drivers

Old November 7th 07, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
pmt82

Default Unable to remove network printer drivers

After having successfully used printers which are installed on our Windows
Server 2003 (not Vista drivers) on other vista computers for some time now I
have come into trouble with the latest install.

The printer spool service will unexpectedly stop, especially when trying to
print. Restarting this service might work for another print but not the next,
and it will constantly throughout the day turn off.
The main issue here now is that I cannot actually delete these drivers from
the laptop. There is about 5 network drivers and all off them will not allow
me to delete them.

"Unable to remove (HP/KM etc), Type 3 usermode driver. The specified printer
driver is currently in use"

Stopping the print spooler to try a delete doesn’t work, they either
disappear from the list or ask the spooler service to be started.
Safe mode does not start the required services (and will not) and gives the
same issue above because the spooler service isn't started. And Print manager
mmc won't start.
It also doesn’t matter what account you try to do this with (local admin or
domain).

Any ideas on how to remove these so I can start again?

Old November 7th 07, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Take it off the network and try again.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old November 8th 07, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Also if I remove a printer from registry will I need to remove any
other files to completley delete the printer to start again?

Old November 8th 07, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

The driver will still be loaded by the spooler after removing a printer from
the registry. One needs to stop (I assume you are here since the spooler
is not currently running) the spooler and restart after any registry change.

the print driver registry key for 32bit machines is located under.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\PRINTDRIVERNAME

If the print driver uses a custom print processor it's sitting under this
location. You would need to look in the inf file that came with the printer
to know if it uses a custom print processor. Winprint is the print
processor that most inbox drivers use. Don't remove this entry. One
normally does not need to touch this key, just the driver.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Print Processors

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

oups.com...

Old November 8th 07, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
pmt82

Thanks for all your help. I didn't get a chance to try thoose steps today as
we have decided to have Windows XP installed to save the hassles, this was
one of many and it needed to be out in production.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

[...]

oups.com...