Old June 13th 09, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Default dvd 's not recognized but CD can.why? urgent. serious problem.

harsha wrote:

im facing a new problem, that my dvd writer cant recognize DVD"S and it
is saying that "Insert Disk in the Drive", that too after 10 - 15 min.
if i click on the cd/dvd drive it is hanging up.

only the dvd's, that too all kinds of dvd's have the same thing

and each and every CD , all kinds from movies to games and softwares,
all are reading and writing.

why? please help me in this.its urgent.this problem is just from
yesterday morning.
mine is a HP notebook and slimtype sony dvd writer with lightscribe.

This usually indicates a failing optical drive. There are two lasers, one
for CDs and one for DVDs. It is common for one of the lasers to fail,
necessitating replacement of the optical drive.

You can try a drive cleaner (can get them at computer and office supply
stores) first but if that doesn't work, order a new optical drive from HP.
They are easy to replace.

Malke
--
MS-MVP