change a drive name

Old November 11th 07, 03:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
surplusguy6207

Default change a drive name

How can the name of a dvd or cd removable drive be changed to reflect the
actual drive name like Sony or whatever. Mine are now just called dvd drive.
Old November 12th 07, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dwarf

Hi surplusguy6207,

You cannot change the name of a CD/DVD drive, whether it is an internal or
an external drive, from the system default. The name of the drive will change
when media is inserted into the drive, the name coming from the name given to
the media. Also, the icon will change to show the type of media. When the
media is removed, both the name and icon will revert to the system default.
You can, however, open 'Computer', right-click on your CD/DVD drive, drag it
to your desktop and select 'Create Shortcuts Here'. You can then rename this
shortcut. This has the disadvantage, however, of the icon and the name of the
shortcut not changing to indicate the type and name of the media inserted as
it does in 'Computer'.
Dwarf