Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

icons not showing up on startup

Old November 11th 07, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Eric

Default icons not showing up on startup

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on my CyberpowerPC laptop. Occasionally
on startup, my battery meter, network manager and volume icons do not show up
in my task bar. I have to restart to get them to show up. What could be
causing this? It is very annoying.
Old November 17th 07, 09:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Eric

As I can see from other posts that my only solution is to restart or logoff.
once again, thanks for a great product, Microsoft.

Old November 17th 07, 11:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Rick Rogers

Hi Eric,

Have you tried stopping and restarting the explorer shell? It may be that
they are loading but not making it to the taskbar. If this is the case, it's
likely that something else in your startup routine is interfering with the
process.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old November 18th 07, 12:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Eric

Rick, how would I go about doing that? I don't think it is it because it has
been doing it since I got the computer, but I am up to try anything. Also,
after I restart the explorer shell, and something else is causing it, what
would I do to isolate the problem. Thanks.

Old November 18th 07, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Rick Rogers

Hi Eric,

Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open task manager, then kill ("end process")
explorer.exe on the processes tab after logging on. Then go to the
applications tab and click "new task" and enter explorer.exe, click ok. This
will restart the explorer shell. If the icons show up now, it means that
something in your startup axis is interfering with them initializing.

If it is just your user account that is affected, the startup folder would
be the first place to look. If it is all accounts on this machine, then you
can use msconfig's startup tab to selective enable and disable processes
that are loading at boot to isolate which one is the cause. I would start by
disabling antivirus/antimalware applications as they tend to be a major
cause of these things. Also, the Google desktop has been shown to cause some
odd behavior, you might try uninstalling it if this applies to you.

Old May 7th 10, 12:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Zoid96

hi there, i have vista business x32 and whenever i startup, the desktop
icons show for a second and then once everything is loaded up they
disappear. I then have to uncheck the "show desktop icons" option in the
view panel and re-enable it for them to show. Everything else seems to
be okay otherwise.

--
Zoid96