Lost 'new text document' shortcut

Old February 21st 08, 01:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John

Default Lost 'new text document' shortcut

My Solution:

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt with regedit

Right click on (Default) and click Modify.

Enter "txtfile" for the value without the quotes.

I think it was due to another program that took control of txt files that
caused this problem.

"John" wrote:

I am also missing the "New text document" but in Windows Vista. I tried
installing TweakUI but it will not run. Says Windows XP required. Is there
another way I can get it back?

here is what is in my reg:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt
Content Type REG_SZ text/plain
PerceivedType REG_SZ text

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithList

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithList\dreamweaver.ex e

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithProgids
VWDExpress.txt.9.0 REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\PersistentHandler
(Default) REG_SZ {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew
ItemName REG_EXPAND_SZ @%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe,-470
NullFile REG_SZ

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

Hi dzomlija,

Tested...and works fine.

See:

Adding and removing ShellNew entries in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Regards,

"dzomlija" wrote in message ...

Ramesh, MS-MVP;516593 Wrote:
Hi dzomlija,

Someone in the Vista newsgroups posted that the "Templates" function of
TweakUI (for WinXP) runs fine under Vista, if run in XP Compatibility
mode.

In case you want to remove it manually, see:

Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew):
'Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew)'
(http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm)

Bingo! Thanks Ramesh, the method described in the link you gave worked
perfectly! Gimme a couple of weeks (assuming I can find the time to do
so and if I can remember) and I'll try to put together a utility for
Vista to make the job easier.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)

Old November 15th 08, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
FPSguy

This thread just saved me too!!

Thanks

--
FPSguy

asus maximus formula lga 775 intel x38 mainboard
intel core 2 quad q6600 kentsfield 2.4ghz
zalman cnps 9700 nt 110mm 2 ball ultra quiet cpu cooler
gskil ddr2 800 c4- 4 gig
bfg tech bfge88512gtse geforce 8800gts (g92) 512mb oc
western digital raptor wd740adfdrtl 74gb 10k
western digital caviar re2 wd5000abys 500gb 7200
lite-on black dvd burner
antec nine hundred black steel atx mid tower
antec truepower quattro tpq-1000w