Lost 'new text document' shortcut

Old November 14th 07, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
bvandew

Default Lost 'new text document' shortcut

Right-click on the desktop and select 'New'....somehow I have lost the
shortcut to create a text document. Where does Windows get this information
and how can I get it back?

--Bruce

Old November 15th 07, 06:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Bruce,

Windows gets this information from the .txt file class data. Try this:

Click Start, type:

cmd /k reg query hkcr\.txt /s

and press {ENTER}

Copy the output and post it here. The "ShellNew" key must exist in order for the "New Text Document" entry to show-up in the New menu.

--
Regards,

Old November 15th 07, 07:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dzomlija[_260_]

Ramesh, how do I _remove_ items from the "Right-Click"-"New"-"File
Type" Context Menu?

By this I mean I only want to have maybe "Text Document" and "Contact".
I want to remove all others from the list.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
Old November 16th 07, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Kit Cargile

Install PowerToys tool - TweakUI. Under the 'TEMPLATES' menu item it will allow you to easily enable/disable menu options. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Now... About this missing 'Create new text document' I am also having this issue.

C:cmd /k reg query hkcr\.txt /s

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt
Content Type REG_SZ text/plain

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithList
NO NAME REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithList\dreamweaver.ex e
NO NAME REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\PersistentHandler
NO NAME REG_SZ {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\shell\open

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\shell\open\command
NO NAME REG_SZ notepad.exe %1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew
NullFile REG_SZ

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old November 16th 07, 04:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dzomlija[_262_]

Kit Cargile;515398 Wrote:
Install PowerToys tool - TweakUI. Under the 'TEMPLATES' menu item it
will allow you to easily enable/disable menu options.

Powertoys doesn't work with Vista.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________

Old November 16th 07, 04:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Kit Cargile

Default Strike above post -- I did not realize this was underVISTA catagory.

I was able to fix this in XP by going to a machine that had the right-click context entry.
Exported the registry entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt and copied it to my computer. Then exported mine(AS a backup and then deleted the entry. Ran the .reg file created from the other computer and it is now working again.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old November 17th 07, 12:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi dzomlija,

Someone in the Vista newsgroups posted that the "Templates" function of TweakUI (for WinXP) runs fine under Vista, if run in XP Compatibility mode.

In case you want to remove it manually, see:

Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew):
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm

--
Regards,

Old November 17th 07, 04:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dzomlija[_280_]

Ramesh, MS-MVP;516593 Wrote:
Hi dzomlija,

Someone in the Vista newsgroups posted that the "Templates" function of
TweakUI (for WinXP) runs fine under Vista, if run in XP Compatibility
mode.

In case you want to remove it manually, see:

Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew):
'Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew)'
(http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm)

Bingo! Thanks Ramesh, the method described in the link you gave worked
perfectly! Gimme a couple of weeks (assuming I can find the time to do
so and if I can remember) and I'll try to put together a utility for
Vista to make the job easier.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________

Old November 22nd 07, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi dzomlija,

Tested...and works fine.

See:

Adding and removing ShellNew entries in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Regards,

Old February 20th 08, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John

I am also missing the "New text document" but in Windows Vista. I tried
installing TweakUI but it will not run. Says Windows XP required. Is there
another way I can get it back?

here is what is in my reg:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt
Content Type REG_SZ text/plain
PerceivedType REG_SZ text

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithList

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithList\dreamweaver.ex e

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\OpenWithProgids
VWDExpress.txt.9.0 REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\PersistentHandler
(Default) REG_SZ {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew
ItemName REG_EXPAND_SZ @%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe,-470
NullFile REG_SZ