AVI files play no picture, but with sound

Old November 17th 07, 11:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
zachd [MSFT]

Default AVI files play no picture, but with sound

To clarify, did the ASX I pointed you to work when directly opened from
WMP's Open URL option?
Do local WMV files still play correctly?

You're saying that you're not seeing video from WMV or AVI files? Is this
always (does it happen locally too for WMV files) or just online for WMV?
In AVIs that fail, what codec is used?
Does something as simple as clock.avi still display video?

Is there a driver update available for your video card?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Nicholas Hall" wrote in message
When I play any video file I get sound, but no picture.

There is no error messages.

NIK

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote in message

ffdshow.ax is a third party filter that can override standard settings,
not necesssarily for the best.

The AVI issue confuses this. What is your specific error from what
specific AVIs there?

To clarify, did the ASX I pointed you to work when directly opened from
WMP's Open URL option?
Do local WMV files still play correctly?

System restore is a good feature. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.
"Nicholas Hall" wrote in message
I wondered if you could tell me where "ffdshow.ax" should be.

Zach that is one of the files I was trying to play. Most of the other
files are AVI files.
I have a feeling that there is a problem with media player.
I would restore my system, but I can not as I have the restore turned
off (I am not very happy once when using the restore and as such I have
turned it off).

NIK
"zachd [MSFT]" wrote in message

Ah, that's not AVI, that's WMV, as you noted.

Do local WMV files work?
Is ffdshow.ax on this system?

Can you play
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/new...tly?--Speaking
for myself only.See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP
info.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.--"Nicholas Hall" wrote in
. .. On one of the
files I wont to play I used gspot and there seems to be aproblem with
WMV2 WMP v8 Microsoft. Is there anyway to sort this out? NIK
"Nicholas Hall" wrote in
l... The URL is
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/default.stm
NIK "zachd [MSFT]" wrote in
l... Having
both XVID and DIVX isn't ideal... What's the URL to a AVI video
on the BBC UK web site? I didn't seeany... =\ -- Speaking for
myself only. See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP
info. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers norights. -- "Nicholas Hall"
wrote in
l... Here is the
list of codec's I have installed. ICM Microsoft RLE MRLE
msrle32.dll 6.0.6000.16513 ICM Microsoft Video 1 MSVC msvidc32.dll
6.0.6000.16513 ICM Microsoft YUV UYVY msyuv.dll 6.0.6000.16386
ICM Intel IYUV codec IYUV iyuv_32.dll 6.0.6000.16386 ICM Toshiba
YUV Codec Y411 tsbyuv.dll 6.0.6000.16386 ICM Cinepak Codec by
Radius cvid iccvid.dll 1.10.0.12 ICM DivX® 6.7 Codec (2 Logical
CPUs) divx DivX.dll 6.7.0.28 ICM DivX® 6.7 YV12 Decoder yv12
DivX.dll 6.7.0.28 ICM Xvid MPEG-4 Codec XVID DMO Mpeg4s Decoder
DMO mp4s, MP4S, m4s2, M4S2 mp4sdecd.dll11.0.6000.6324 DMO WMV
Screen decoder DMO MSS1, MSS2 wmvsdecd.dll 11.0.6000.6324 DMO
WMVideo Decoder DMO WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, WMVP, WVP2, WMVR, WMVA,
WVC1wmvdecod.dll 11.0.6000.6324 DMO Mpeg43 Decoder DMO mp43, MP43
mp43decd.dll 11.0.6000.6324 DMO Mpeg4 Decoder DMO MPG4, mpg4, mp42,
MP42 mpg4decd.dll11.0.6000.6324 NIK "Nicholas Hall"
wrote in
. .. Zach Thanks
for your reply, but unfortunately there is no errordetails. I
think media player has gone wrong. NIK "zachd
[MSFT]" wrote in
. ..
Actually there is a place to tell you if you need codecs...
Right-click on the player's playlist on the partially failing trackand
click Error Details. Then click Web Help. That should identify
anymissing codec (John/I did this part) and then offer to take you to
wmpluginswhere you can probably find the codec (Kevin L did most of
that). Automating this process would kind of be dangerous
since a lot ofcodecs are dodgy. =\ -- Speaking for
myself only. See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful
WMP info. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers norights. -- "Nicholas Hall"
wrote in
l... Thanks
for the reply Charlie, but it did not sort out my
problem. I did have Xvid (older version
1.1.2). There is nothing there in media player to tell me
that I needcodec's. I did have all the codec's on my
system before and they playedalright? NIK
"Charlie42" wrote in
"Nicholas Hall"
wrote:I do not know what has happened but when I try
to play an AVI filein windows media player I get sound but no picture.
The first time I noticedthis is when I went to a BBC (UK website) and
tried to watch an onlineprogram. The program started and I heard
sound,... but there was no picture. When I tried to
open a local file the same thing happened. If Iopen the file in the new
(BETA) real player it (the file) plays alright. I
have got the latest divx player installed (6.7). I
wondered if anyone could help me out with this problem
WMP probably can't find the correct codec. Besides the media titlein
the right frame of WMP there should be a small, red icon. Click it,
andfollow the instructions to download the right codec.
I've seen this problem several times with Xvid, it could be whatyou're
missing. http://www.xvid.org/
Charlie42

Old November 18th 07, 10:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nicholas Hall

Zach I have tried to find the clock.avi file and I can not find it (also
looked on my laptop for the said file with no luck).

I can not see any picture when playing any video file played locally or
online if it is played through media player.
I did do sfc/scannow and windows said there where corrupt files, but it
could not repair them?

I do not think this is a codec issue, unless it is a corrupt codec issue
with the ones that come with media player?

Apart from reinstalling my computer (I do not have system restore running...
long story, not relevant at the moment) is there a way to fix media player?

Thanks for your help Zach.

NIK

Old November 19th 07, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie Tame

zachd [MSFT] wrote:
If he really needs to do something that along, which sounds like the totally
wrong solution to the problem, I did spend a lot of my time coming up with a
solution that allows for something like that. I'm finalizing another
project first though (I'll probably post beta details later tonight).

Generally that's pretty much a flailing approach to trouble-shooting,
though. If you write the playback graph, the suspect component right now
falls outside of the player component boundary.

I've been fighting this "reinstall as a solution" idea for years now, but I
don't suspect people are ever predisposed to really listen. Brute force
('did you kick it yet?', 'have you tried turning it off and on?', 'did you
uninstall/reinstall?') will always be a popular solution no matter the
problem. =)

So if you like problems being identified (so that Vista becomes more stable
over time), it's good to avoid brute force solutions. If there really is
failing component, what is failing and why? That's the really great data to
gather, and the brute force reinstall method sacrifices all that interesting
data in the name of a quick fix. We all love quick fixes, though, so I
understand. =)

The other problem with quick fixes is that once found and publicized
people will keep using them, so if the problem is really due to some
config or hardware problem that only occurs when two apparently
unconnected events happen together then a solution never gets found,
instead you have 1000 users who all "Reset something" once a week

Seen enough things like electrical "Transients" in my time to know that
this can also happen "Out of the blue" and so on those occasions the
quick fix is appropriate.

Trouble is you don't know which it is the "First" time
Old November 20th 07, 12:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie Tame

MICHAEL wrote:
Okay, Zach. Just understand that folks like my Mom and
Dad or Hazel, my older neighbor across the street, don't
typically have the abilities to hunt down one of the many
things that can choke WMP. For folks like them, there should
be an *easy* way to fix the problem... I'm not always home. ;-)
Besides, many users just have themselves... no techy neighbor,
or geeky son are at their disposal. Heck, most users don't even
know how to get to these forums to ask for help.

Well, we've done this already. Even though you won't/can't
discuss why a media player is even considered a core component
and has such a deep hook into the OS- well, we really do know why-
anyway, thanks for your input and coming by to help folks here... really.
It is much appreciated, even if I seem a bit agitated... it's not personal.
It's really directed at Microsoft.

It would be wonderful if you did put together a reinstall option.

Please, tell your girlfriend they've done a wonderful job with that
software. For anyone reading this, you should try it. You don't have
to have a Zune to use the PC software. It works great at managing
your music library and playing them, too. I still like the overall power
of MediaMonkey better, but the Zune PC software is cool.
http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/z...e/download.htm

Take care, Zach.

-Michael

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote in message

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
Look, most folks don't want to track down the what, why and
where- they just want it to work. If it's broke, they want it fixed
and fixed now. They are not you and do not have the patience
or knowledge to figure it all out.... they really shouldn't have to.

Totally agreed. However, it's also my job to help figure out what's
wrong why and how.

You're talking about band-aids, I'm talking about core solutions.

Regardless of your opinion about uninstall/reinstall for WMP11,
*most* users would love to have that option- it's called pleasing
the customer.

Yes, and has been pointed out repeatedly, Windows isn't
architecturally designed for this at this time.

As regards pleasing the customer, I've invested a lot of my own time
coming up with a solution.

We're on the same net page overall. I'm just much more intensely
interested in the larger picture.

The fact of the matter, Zach- many times, simply
uninstalling and reinstalling an application *does* fix a problem.

Right, but that's going to ignore why. Having spent a large chunk of
time lately fixing a top issue which definitely is only obscured by a
reinstall, you can't imagine my joy when I can track down the Whys of
issues. I don't expect this to be quick or simple - I must take a
long term patient approach or I'll never get anywhere. It's not like
I have access to these PCs - I need to sleuth my way forward.
Horribly painful work.

Anyways, this gets back to what you said: people expect it to work.
If we Reinstall To Fix and ignore the corrupting factor (which in my
case right now would certainly be lost with a reinstall), we never
enable the system to Just Work - we just keep applying spackle until
it's a lumbering mess.

Or-- I can bite the bullet, do the research over time to track down
the source, get that fixed, work on solutions, etc. That is long-term
goodness.

Much more so than spending days of back and forth with you in
this forum.

Right, definitely boring as heck. I consider the information I gather
generally worth the investment of my precious time. It's a
trade-off. You want me investing my extra Windows-centric time in
long-term solutions. I can give you short-term band-aids until the
cows come home, but the real value is always going to be in the
long-term solutions. Again, it's just the different valuation I need
to have. =)

It's a heck of lot quicker and a much better alternative
to suggestion you make at times to reinstall the operating system-
now that's brute force.... and all because of a stupid media player.

This isn't WMP's fault. As mentioned, it's a core system
architectural issue where it doesn't allow for subcomponent
reinstall. Any further niggling on pointing fingers is wrong and just
alienates the one guy who's working hard to solve it: it's a base
problem/limitation.

Why can't the bright minds on the WMP team come up with
some sort of diagnostics like Office has?

There's a bunch of diagnostics around. WMP definitely is a very
different beast than Office, relying upon a huge number of moving
parts that differ from system to system. WMP's Help:about:Technical
Support Information is a nice new tool in v11, but it's not like the
core team ever has time to be bored. ;-) DxDiag, etc - there
definitely is always a need for more fleshing out of the field, but
Office has a behemoth-sized team, the player team not so much.

Have you seen the simple beauty of the new Zune PC software?

Yep, my girlfriend works on that team. I've seen it and played with
it for a long while now. =)

You guys really could learn from that. Did you contribute to that?

I don't think I made any substantive contributions to v2. I certainly
recognized aspects of my work in v1. I'm a pretty scarce resource, so
in v1 I was politely banned late in the cycle from working for them,
simply because my time needed to be spent solely on WMP and Vista. I
provide assistance where I can - the relationship is generally
good/positive. Heck, I just watched their demos run by one of my
favorite partners (Terry) from my work on the player. =)

If you do come up with some type of reinstall solution like
you mentioned in your first paragraph, I will sing your praises
from the rooftop.

Thanks. I'm going to need time. For starters, "SatelliteTVforPC
2006" corrupts WMP-Vista badly (they fixed this in their 2007 version)
- I should have a working virtual "WMP reinstallation" fix for that
tonight. The entire WMP system is of course much wider than that
(they're basically "only" breaking WMP.dll's registration, proxy
stubs, etc), but that's the first step and addresses a actual case
wherein ideally the subcomponent would be reinstalled.

I would be very sad if people were randomly trying to "reinstall"
using my steps. It's just such a problem-solving cop-out to me, much
like saying "DIVX" to every AVI related issue. ;-)

I want to find these issues. If you want Windows to "just work", you
need me or others to be able to find these issues. 3

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

Sort of on that subject, and I have not yet investigated Zune... I was
contemplating trying out some media stuff...

A friend has some videos we'd like to transfer to DVD. Last time the
company had some done for work it cost a fortune and this time there are
a few more of those (no copyright problem whatsoever) and a few we'd
just like to back up.

What a * nightmare

There are a couple of GUI Linux things, including a Nero that claim to
do this. The non Nero things plain don't work at all, the Linux Nero
thing claims to do DVDs and recognizes one when you put it in but then
treats it like a CD and claims it is out of space

Sooo,,, I know I thought, shove XP in a drive and use Movie Maker.

Well it can read from the video card alright, pictures, but have to wire
sound via the audio, but then after about a minute it slows down, misses
frames a dozen at a time and is generally worthless, so try the ATI
software that came with the card. That does work but saves a normal DVD
full as two separate files and I can't find an option to make lager than
4.7 GB so I think okay, load these files into MM and join them, edit
them and we make DVD from that. Nope, reads them in alright but this
time sound and no video, so threw that idea in the trash.

So anyway I have these things in two files and get out the Nero 6 and
Nero 7 that came bundled with the motherboards... and away we go, except
after an hour or more of "Converting" it crashes with an "Illegal memory
access" violation of some such nonsense.

Well I do have XP Media Center disk 2 but can I find disk 1? Nope, so I
figure back to Linux and try Linux MCE, BUT you really need to dedicate
a machine for server duty or else use a fast one, so I decide to go with
the fast one, bit of a waste but hey I can always put it back to normal
use later, so off to CompUSA to get a Hauppage card and try that, of
course I pick one not compatible with Linux lists but hope for the best
because it was the only choice, at least it certified for Vista :- Yay.

So with almost $200 in cards and cables I put card in new PC and boot it
with present Ubuntu disk (Removable drive). Pfft, nothing, beep beep beep.

Okay, insert Ubuntu CD, reinstall. Do you want to use NVidia drivers,
yes, Pfft, beep beep beep.

So consult LinuxMCE docs, it says get Xubuntu 7.04, so I download it,
install that, burn the MCE disks and start install...

Install Xubuntu, do you want the Nvidia drivers, yes Pfft, beep beep
beep. Install again, do you want the Nvidia driver, Christ no, ok...
Welcome to Xubuntu with no GFX acceleration. Insert MCE disk 1, load the
installer, run the installer, Pffft, beep black screen.

Well I didn't much fancy trying Myth since the problem seemed to be that
card + Ubuntu, and XP MM wasn't any good either so I figured try
Vista32, expect nothing and hope for the best.

Hell of a long install time but amazingly installed with no problems,
drivers all went without a problem and it asked for about 40 updates (40
already, has it been that long) and then suggested the NVidia driver...
so I let the NVidia site find the driver, amazingly quick download and
ran perfectly right away.

Of course I don't have a TV antenna cable hooked up so I couldn't set it
up but so far so good and at least with this machine (All new parts
again) Vista has been a total success story... of course you'd know that
being the last thing I tried.

So I am now copying files and only 9 hours 58 minutes to go

I am optimistic that this install of Vista is good though, it is MUCH
faster than previous ones and the CPU is not much faster, 4.8 instead of
4.2, and the MB is next release, so we shall see.

BUT, if anyone at work so much as mentions VCR or DVD I shall likely be
arrested for causing some sort of physical harm

Old November 20th 07, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
zachd [MSFT]

I'm having trouble keeping track of the multiple threads you've created on
this issue. I'd suggest you contact actual product support, who can
probably sort this out more effectively--
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#psssupport

Given the descriptions so far, I'd think there's something wonky with the
video card driver, given that it affects AVI *and* WMV, but that's just a
gut feeling based upon the data provided so far.

Old November 20th 07, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MICHAEL

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote in message

I'm having trouble keeping track of the multiple threads you've created on this issue. I'd
suggest you contact actual product support, who can probably sort this out more effectively--
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#psssupport

Given the descriptions so far, I'd think there's something wonky with the video card driver,
given that it affects AVI *and* WMV, but that's just a gut feeling based upon the data
provided so far.

Too bad he can't just uninstall and reinstall WMP11....
but, we've been there before.

--
Speaking for myself only.

Unless legal tells you to shut it.

-Michael

Old November 20th 07, 03:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MICHAEL

Zach,

Look, most folks don't want to track down the what, why and
where- they just want it to work. If it's broke, they want it fixed
and fixed now. They are not you and do not have the patience
or knowledge to figure it all out.... they really shouldn't have to.
Regardless of your opinion about uninstall/reinstall for WMP11,
*most* users would love to have that option- it's called pleasing
the customer. The fact of the matter, Zach- many times, simply
uninstalling and reinstalling an application *does* fix a problem.
Much more so than spending days of back and forth with you in
this forum. It's a heck of lot quicker and a much better alternative
to suggestion you make at times to reinstall the operating system-
now that's brute force.... and all because of a stupid media player.

Why can't the bright minds on the WMP team come up with
some sort of diagnostics like Office has?

Have you seen the simple beauty of the new Zune PC software?
You guys really could learn from that. Did you contribute to that?
Or, did the Zune team totally abandon any connection to WMP?