AVI files play no picture, but with sound

Old November 15th 07, 06:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nicholas Hall

Default AVI files play no picture, but with sound

I do not know what has happened but when I try to play an AVI file in
windows media player I get sound but no picture. The first time I noticed
this is when I went to a BBC (UK website) and tried to watch an online
program. The program started and I heard sound,... but there was no picture.

When I tried to open a local file the same thing happened. If I open the
file in the new (BETA) real player it (the file) plays alright.

I have got the latest divx player installed (6.7).

I wondered if anyone could help me out with this problem

NIK

Old November 15th 07, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie42[_2_]

"Nicholas Hall" wrote:

I do not know what has happened but when I try to play an AVI file in
windows media player I get sound but no picture. The first time I noticed
this is when I went to a BBC (UK website) and tried to watch an online
program. The program started and I heard sound,... but there was no
picture.

When I tried to open a local file the same thing happened. If I open the
file in the new (BETA) real player it (the file) plays alright.

I have got the latest divx player installed (6.7).

I wondered if anyone could help me out with this problem

WMP probably can't find the correct codec. Besides the media title in the
right frame of WMP there should be a small, red icon. Click it, and follow
the instructions to download the right codec.

I've seen this problem several times with Xvid, it could be what you're
missing.
http://www.xvid.org/

Charlie42

Old November 15th 07, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nicholas Hall

Thanks for the reply Charlie, but it did not sort out my problem.

I did have Xvid (older version 1.1.2).

There is nothing there in media player to tell me that I need codec's.

I did have all the codec's on my system before and they played alright?

NIK

Old November 15th 07, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie42[_2_]

"Nicholas Hall" wrote

Thanks for the reply Charlie, but it did not sort out my problem.

I did have Xvid (older version 1.1.2).

There is nothing there in media player to tell me that I need codec's.

I did have all the codec's on my system before and they played alright?

Somebody in this ng recommended a tool called Gspot in a similar discussion
a few days ago. You may be able to find out what the file uses by running
this tool (I've tested it briefly myself, and it seems to work ok):
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

And here's another tool that will help you find out what's already installed
on your machine:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

A good place to start looking for downloads:
http://www.wmplugins.com/

Charlie42

Old November 16th 07, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie42[_2_]

"Nicholas Hall" wrote:
snip

"Charlie42" wrote:
snip

Oh, and one more thing. If viewing the files you're talking about worked
fine previously on your computer, you should try to do a system restore
before you dig further into the tips in my previous post.

Charlie42

Old November 16th 07, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
zachd [MSFT]

Actually there is a place to tell you if you need codecs...

Right-click on the player's playlist on the partially failing track and
click Error Details. Then click Web Help. That should identify any missing
codec (John/I did this part) and then offer to take you to wmplugins where
you can probably find the codec (Kevin L did most of that).

Automating this process would kind of be dangerous since a lot of codecs are
dodgy. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old November 16th 07, 05:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nicholas Hall

Zach Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately there is no error details.

I think media player has gone wrong.

NIK

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote in message

Actually there is a place to tell you if you need codecs...

Right-click on the player's playlist on the partially failing track and
click Error Details. Then click Web Help. That should identify any
missing codec (John/I did this part) and then offer to take you to
wmplugins where you can probably find the codec (Kevin L did most of
that).

Automating this process would kind of be dangerous since a lot of codecs
are dodgy. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

Old November 16th 07, 05:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nicholas Hall

Here is the list of codec's I have installed.

ICM Microsoft RLE MRLE msrle32.dll 6.0.6000.16513
ICM Microsoft Video 1 MSVC msvidc32.dll 6.0.6000.16513
ICM Microsoft YUV UYVY msyuv.dll 6.0.6000.16386
ICM Intel IYUV codec IYUV iyuv_32.dll 6.0.6000.16386
ICM Toshiba YUV Codec Y411 tsbyuv.dll 6.0.6000.16386
ICM Cinepak Codec by Radius cvid iccvid.dll 1.10.0.12
ICM DivX® 6.7 Codec (2 Logical CPUs) divx DivX.dll 6.7.0.28
ICM DivX® 6.7 YV12 Decoder yv12 DivX.dll 6.7.0.28
ICM Xvid MPEG-4 Codec XVID
DMO Mpeg4s Decoder DMO mp4s, MP4S, m4s2, M4S2 mp4sdecd.dll 11.0.6000.6324
DMO WMV Screen decoder DMO MSS1, MSS2 wmvsdecd.dll 11.0.6000.6324
DMO WMVideo Decoder DMO WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, WMVP, WVP2, WMVR, WMVA, WVC1
wmvdecod.dll 11.0.6000.6324
DMO Mpeg43 Decoder DMO mp43, MP43 mp43decd.dll 11.0.6000.6324
DMO Mpeg4 Decoder DMO MPG4, mpg4, mp42, MP42 mpg4decd.dll 11.0.6000.6324

NIK

Old November 16th 07, 07:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
zachd [MSFT]

Having both XVID and DIVX isn't ideal...

What's the URL to a AVI video on the BBC UK web site? I didn't see any...
=\