HP Quicklook vista sideshow

Old November 18th 07, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Sven

Default HP Quicklook vista sideshow

The other thing is that I had 'quickplay'. not sure if that is an HP term or
not, long before Vista/Sideshow. That's one reason I am not sure if it
and/or quicklook, which does seem to be an HP term is really related.
Whatever. Not going to lose sleep over it.

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
"Steven Wabik" wrote in message
well, thanks for quoting me. i see you are one of the few people who have
a version of quickplay that startsup without loading windows first.

by the way, i said "in most notebooks". it really depends on the quickplay
applications you have. now quickplay includes stuff for the web, for tv,
for webcam and more so aditional stuff need to load that are in windows.

right now i have quickplay on my pc, it only has the dvd module installed
since the version of vista (business) i have does not support certian
additional software components. my pc also does not have a webcam.

"Sven" wrote in message
He's not wasting anyone's time. If you are too busy, or disinterested,
don't read it. You are apparently not to busy to provide an irrelevant
response. I'm interested because I think sideshow is a neat concept. I
still am not convinced that Quicklook is a subset/instance/implementation
of it. You don't have to have a sideshow device to run the control panel
app, so it seems conceivable you might be able to get a sideshow error
without a sideshow capability.

I looked at both the tablets originally indicated and actually couldn't
find that either supported QuickLook. Could have missed it. I would still
maintain that if a device supported this unique option, it would be
enabled. It's a selling point, and wouldn't cost anything to turn on.

"quickplay was for playing DVDs without starting windows. but quickplay
changed so much that windows needs to be started before quickplay can be
accessed in most notebooks"

Not on my Vaio. I had an HP (as I recall) that was the biggest darn
portable CD player around, but it played CDs without ever firing up the
hard drive.

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
"Mick Murphy" wrote in message
Contact HP!

You have been given answers.

Stop wasting peoples' time here

Old November 19th 07, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Sven

Well then, I'm pretty sure my Vaio, which has dedicated DVD buttons, and
lets me watch without booting into the OS, isn't using Quickstuff.

--

"Sven" wrote in message
[...]

Old November 26th 07, 11:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chinatiger

Maybe you can ask for help to HP service.

"Steven Wabik" дÈëÏûÏ¢
i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to
get my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i
could get this feature.

from,
Steven Wabik

Old November 26th 07, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Josh Einstein

For what it's worth, there is a feature described in the Vista product guide
called "Hot Start" that seems to be related to how this works. Hot start is
described as a technology that lets you boot into software without incurring
the time it takes to boot the entire OS. It may or may not be tied into the
sideshow technology since in theory, sideshow could eventually support
periodically "polling" data sources on the computer for things like new
email without doing a full boot. That's pretty much how they pitched the
technology for LCD's on the outside of laptops but in this case, Quicklook
would be the sideshow display. Either way I'd just rather check my WM phone.

--
Josh Einstein (Tablet PC MVP)
Einstein Technologies

"Sven" wrote in message
Vista Sideshow and HP Quicklook are two different things. Quicklook
appears to be a proprietary software/hardware add-on that lets you pull up
some PIM info on the screen, likely from some flash RAM area, without
bringing the unit out of hibernation or standby. Sideshow is an included
feature of Vista that will support additional, or external displays. Not a
second monitor, but rather more like the outside display on a cell phone.
I haven't seen too many manufacturers supporting this yet. Here is one
announcement
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/15/l...-out-in-korea/

Sideshow really expects a secondary low power display. Quicklook seems to
be a feature more like some of the current laptops that support playing
CDs or DVDs without booting into the OS, though Quicklook seems to offer
PIM functions rather than entertainment. I don't think you are going to
get it with bios or software alone. Seems like it would require specific
hardware, that if it was included, you would have the feature enabled.

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
"Steven Wabik" wrote in message
on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my
tc4400 to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or
something to get the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the
installation i get an issue saying that my pc does not support vista
sideshow or that i do not have vista installed....

"Rick Rogers" wrote in message
You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can
simply alter in the installed software or operating system that will
change that.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Steven Wabik" wrote in message
i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to
get my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i
could get this feature.

from,
Steven Wabik

Old November 28th 07, 04:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Sven

Lord help him if that is his last resort. I have a ticket open with HP
support for manager software for their new GPS. When I bought it support
barely new it existed, and the dedicated site was 'coming soon'. The site
has been up for a week now and the software has been available on it. HP
support has yet to figure that out, provide me the info, and close the
support ticket.

I have always found HP support to be very friendly and sincere, and if the
solution was to replace the device, very accommodating and efficient. If it
was a technical issue however, you are better off here. (Not that tech
support anywhere else is much better)

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices