Can't get my Canon printer on the network

Old November 24th 07, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
5hulses

Default Can't get my Canon printer on the network

Just got a HP Laptop with Vista...xp seems to be better so far. My problem
is that I have printer sharing checked off & when I try to install my network
printer ( which works fine on XP) it is telling me that it can't find it!
What am I doing wrong? It seems that Vista doesn't have the icon " Network
Setup Wizard" like XP has in the control panel.

1 for XP, 0 for VIsta!

TIA
Old November 24th 07, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , 5hulses
wrote:

when I try to install my network*
printer ( which works fine on XP) it is telling me that it can't find it!

I'm sure someone will help you with more specific instructions but I have
an idea (networking printers is not my thing) you have to give the printer
ID in setting it up and maybe install a driver for a Local Printer.

Old November 25th 07, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
caaf

Well - I've just registered just on this issue - to hopefully solve that
is.

This is copied with much work from our friend 'Google'
(http:\\www.google.com)

I had the same problem and here's what I did to fix it:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and
the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a
intranet are local.

I hope this helps, I scoured many forums b4 finding this fix.
Microsoft's support docs and HP's tech support were no help.

--
caaf
caaf's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35875

http://forums.techarena.in

Old December 1st 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
5hulses

The other problem might be that Vista is not on the network (even though I
can get on the Internet with it), For when I search for a printer, it only
finds the laptop with Vista on it and not my other computers on the network!
Windows XP had an Icon for "Wireless Network Setup". Where is that on Vista?

Old December 2nd 07, 05:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
caaf[_2_]

Yes well not having the lappy setup to be on the intranet would have its
issues thats for sure..

On the host computer do the process of setting up file and print
sharing ie use the wizard to setup your workgroup name ie MYNETWORK ect
once you have done that share the printer if not done already. Confirm
that you can see you network using windows explorer.

On the Vista lappy go into the control panel (in classic mode) and open
"Network and Sharing Center" then "Setup a connection or network" follow
the prompts and make you what ever you named your workgroup on the host
is the same on the lappy.

I hope thats not to brief

Old December 3rd 07, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Daddy Tadpole

I missed the original post, so don't know what model it is.

However, in case anyone is interested I add a quick reminder that some old
Canon printers (like my LBP860) are "Winprinters". For reasons of economy
relevant at the time of manufacture, they have limited built-in firware and
are operated by Windows software that's at a lower level than normal driver
software. This real-time stuff doesn't work over a network (also it's too
bad if you have another OS or an incompatible vesion of Windows).

The LBP860 has lasted much longer than the operating systems I have used,
and is still running fine on a PC that was not downgraded to Vista.

Regards