WMI Provider Host stopped working and was closed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 24th 07, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
jj mac

Default WMI Provider Host stopped working and was closed

Computer: Dell Dimension E520 Viiv Core 2 Duo Processor E6300
O/S Vista home premium

I am receiving the following error message which pops up shortly after bootup.
“WMI Provider Host stopped working and was closed”
I uninstalled the Dell Support Centre, believing it might be causing the
problem since it appeared after I had installed that program. Initially,
that seemed to cure the problem but within a few days it was back again, I
have not, however, reinstalled the Dell Support Centre.
In the Control Panel selecting “Problem Reports and Solutions” and clicking
on “Check for new Solutions” at present 412 problems instances are listed but
no solutions are found. Under “information about other problems 18 no. are
listed eg. “Problem caused by McAfee spamkiller” but I don’t know and can’t
find out what that problem is. Under “view problem history” I see that WMI
Provider Host” stopped working on 7Nov.07 and 146 times since that date.
Details of “Problem Signature” are given as follows, but I can’t make much
sense of that information and am unable to determine from it what program is
causing the WMI Provider Host fault.

Product
WMI Provider Host
Problem
Stopped working
Date
24/11/2007 18:22
Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wmiprvse.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549af45
Fault Module Name: StackHash_2493
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000af1c9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 2493
Additional Information 2: 4f3bb3feb872865e371673b8801522c1
Additional Information 3: a64f
Additional Information 4: 58665db331ead520448d2a898940a014

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 376790327

Any advice and/or answers to the following queries would be most welcome.

1 How do I determine what is causing the WMI Provider Host to close and how
can I correct the problem?.

2 Are there any serious consequences or risks, security or otherwise, if I
should ignore the issue and continue working with the WMI Provider Host
closed?.

--
JJ MacA