Hp scanner won't work on vista

Old November 25th 07, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sheryl

Default Hp scanner won't work on vista

I just bought the HP photosmart C5280 All in one printer and it works great
except for printing documents using the software that came with the printer.
I don't think the software is defective because I installed it on my XP
computer so see what would happen and it works fine but when I try and scan
a document on my Vista computer, I get a Windows error message saying
hpqsnvw has stopped working.
Then more errors saying unable to communicate with HP scanning software,
verify that it's working and installed correctly.
And another error saying error occurred communicating with scanning device.

I did an online chat with someone from HP last night and they had me try all
sorts of things including running a diagnostic test that came back showing
no problems.
The HP tech told me to reboot my computer and then try scanning again
because she figured everything should be fine but it wasn't.
I had to go out last night so I couldn't try and reconnect with a tech and
before I do, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any suggestions.
I tried two different usb ports. One was a usb hub and the other was a port
on the back of my computer. Both give me the same errors.
I can bring up the Windows Paint program and scan using that but it doesn't
seem as if I can use any other software for scanning.
I tried using Microsoft document scanning but that too won't work. However,
it gives me a different error message. It says server busy. Can't scan
because something else is using the server. It gives me an option to "switch
to" and this brings up my start menu.
I don't know what it wants me to do or why I can't scan documents.
Sheryl

Old November 25th 07, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sheryl

Oops, sorry.
I have an update on this.
As I was typing, I was trying the Microsoft document scanning program using
the twain drivers. This gave me the error I mentioned about the server being
busy and used by another program so I tried scanning using the Photosmart
C5280 driver and it worked.
I wonder if there's something wrong with the Twain drivers and if those are
what are needed in order to use the software that came with the printer.
Sheryl

Old November 25th 07, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Please install the Vista latest drivers for your printer:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... 04464&lang=en

[HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old November 25th 07, 06:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sheryl

I do have the latest drivers but that didn't help.
I even tried using the entire download package from the internet instead of
my disk because I thought perhaps the drivers weren't compatible with vista
but it didn't help.
Sheryl

Old November 25th 07, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sheryl

I finally found out what the problem was so I figured I'd mention it in this
thread, just in case anyone else runs into the same problem and goes through
the same aggravation I've gone through for the past two days.
Apparently there was a conflict between the twain driver and my Wacom
tablet. Once I uninstalled my Wacom tablet, the scan function worked.
Too bad someone from HP didn't ask me if by any chance I had a Wacom tablet.
It would have saved me a lot of time.
Sheryl

Old January 21st 08, 05:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark Dunakin

Sheryl, you ROCK!
Sheesh, wished this info was on the HP site or something, cuz I just blew
off the past 4 solid days going insane trying to figure out what the flip was
going on, since this used to work just fine in my Vista Ultimate and then
recently when I went to scan something, tahts when all these problems showed
up, so of course, I had no idea what could of caused all this or when, since
it's been a while since I scanned anything.

So here I was all evening long uninstalling Photoshop and every other
program and reinstalling them only to find they STILl wouldn't let me scan
anything and I was getting all those exact same errors that you were too!

And I did the whole installing of the complete software and all that too and
I tried only installing parts of the software, the bare minimum and like
that, drivers only sort of things, and still nothing worked.
And here it was something as NOT obvious as my Wacom Tablet, sheesh.
Again, thanx very very much for sharing your solutions
I can't thank you enough!

.............md

Old March 4th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BigJulie

A report form another happy support person who stumbled upon this
thread. I had a client with the same mysterious scanning issue. In his
case he has a cheapo tablet - Adesso - but it had the same effect on
the HP software. Unplugged the tablet and boom! the HP scan stuff
worked without a problem.

THANKS!

Old May 28th 08, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark Dunakin

Thought I'd update this thread.
Wanted to let all of you know, that I had sent this info to the HP people at
their site to inform this of this issue.
They were very happy to hear from me and have since added it to their Q&A
section somewhere.
But I figured they should know about this issue, since that is the first
place most or all of us would look first and not here, or at least it was for
me

Anyway, they were good about it and thankful too.

Old September 8th 08, 12:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cnicely

I have a 5610 hp all in one and also a Wacom tablet...wish I had found
this last year! Would have saved me a lot of frustration!

So my question is, what do you do when you want to use the Wacom
tablet? I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall everything
everytime I want to use it.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

--
cnicely
cnicely's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/cnicely.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 8th 08, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JerryM

Have you tried plugging it in live?

What I mean is having Windows up and running,
Have power turned on to your Tablet,
Then plug it in to your computer.
If there is a driver for it, Windows will find it.