DVD/CD Drive not even showing up!

Old November 25th 07, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gallegra

Default DVD/CD Drive not even showing up!

Hey all;

I just got a new gateway laptop on Black Friday over at Best Buy, and since
it's new it has Vista on it. I was loading some files and stuff onto my
computer using some data discs I had just made from my old PC, and then all
of a sudden last night the discs stopped loading. I checked around, and I
can't find any proof that my disc drive even EXISTS, whether it has a disc in
it or not. I've gone into Computer Management, and not only does the drive
not show up, I can't even find it by scanning or refreshing, and it doesn't
show up on "My Computer" at all either. Eventually, I did find it on the
Computer Manager, but it wasn't listed on the "Drive" list and had the yellow
exclamation icon on it. Here are some screen caps;

"My Computer", only showing the CPU and Recovery Drives (No Disc Drive);
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...MYCOMPUTER.jpg

"Computer Manager" showing only the two drives, still no CD/DVD/Disc Drive
listed;
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...nagement01.jpg

"Device Manager" listed under the "Computer Manager", showing the CD/DVD
drive with a yellow exclamation Icon;
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...nagement02.jpg

Oh, by the way, when I found the drive under the "Device Manager" I tried
searching for hardware updates, driver updates, and anything else I can find,
and tried disabling it/re-enabling it, and nothing worked. So, who knows. Can
anyone help?

Thanks

-Gary

Old November 25th 07, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Have you tried this?:

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old November 28th 07, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TimboTen

I've had similar problems with Vista where my optical drive failed after
deleting printer software. I ended up with a Windows error 39 suggesting my
driver was no good but you can't fix the problem by upgrading the driver as
gallegra found. The link Cal Bear '66 provides worked for me and is quite
simple. Follow the instructions explicitly as involves a Registry Edit.

TimboTen

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

Have you tried this?:

Old November 26th 07, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jesse

I have the same issue. vista 64. I've never had the upper or lower filter
keys and this was a clean install. Any other suggestions? Buy a SATA DVD?

Old September 29th 08, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barriesmom

I have the same problem with my toshiba satellite, gives a code 10
error code - device can't start - when I click the properties in device
manager. Have tried uninstalling and rebooting, but it changes nothing,
tried updating drivers - tells me I have the most up-to-date driver,
tried disabling and re-abling - still nothing.
Have Vista home premium, the problem occurred a few weeks ago, up to
that point it was working beautifully.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use my dvd drive all the
time.

--
barriesmom

Old September 29th 08, 11:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barriesmom[_2_]

Thanks Peter: however my dvd player isn't connected via usb, it's
internal. Just ordered broadband so really need to get this thing up
and running again

--
barriesmom

Old September 30th 08, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes

Long shot

Try the following fix (applies to Vista also)