Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista Hangs at welcome screen

Old November 25th 07, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ervinr82

Default Vista Hangs at welcome screen

For the last couple days I have been having a weird problem, When logging in
after i have typed my PW my laptop will just hang at the "welcome" screen
with the waiting icon, it seems like the computer is doing fine, It just
hangs for sometimes ever and sometime 2-10 minutes. I am on the verge of
just re-installing. Please help me out, if you need any additional info
please let me know.
Old November 25th 07, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
brink[_2026_]

Ervinr82;524438 Wrote:
For the last couple days I have been having a weird problem, When
logging in
after i have typed my PW my laptop will just hang at the "welcome"
screen
with the waiting icon, it seems like the computer is doing fine, It
just
hangs for sometimes ever and sometime 2-10 minutes. I am on the verge
of
just re-installing. Please help me out, if you need any additional info
please let me know.

Hi Ervinr82,

It may be a startup program causing this. Test to see by booting into
Safe Mode. This tutorial will show you how if needed. Just select "Safe
Mode".

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...t-options.html

If it boots into Safe Mode without any problems, then it is a startup
program. You can then just Disable a startup program and keep testing
until you find the bad one, and Remove it. You can then Enable the
other back. Method One will show you how in this tutorial.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

If all else fails, you can try doing a Repair install before having to
do a clean install. This will allow you to repair your Vista
installation without losing your files, settings, and programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old November 25th 07, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ervinr82

"brink" wrote:

Ervinr82;524438 Wrote:
[...]

Thanks alot for the help, it looks like alot of this could solve my problem,
I have tried to boot in safe mode, and it does like a charm, so i believe
your right. im just going to disable everything that isnt system required,
and go from there.

One other thing you might be able to help with, the repair install.. I have
a HP that i bought over the internet, and they didnt give me a disc, how do i
go about this?

thanks again for the info, and ill update if it works.
Old November 25th 07, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
brink[_2032_]

Ervinr82;524532 Wrote:
"brink" wrote:
Hi Ervinr82,

It may be a startup program causing this. Test to see by booting into
Safe Mode. This tutorial will show you how if needed. Just select

"Safe
Mode".

'Advanced Boot Options'

(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...t-options.html)

If it boots into Safe Mode without any problems, then it is a startup
program. You can then just Disable a startup program and keep testing
until you find the bad one, and Remove it. You can then Enable the
other back. Method One will show you how in this tutorial.

'Startup Programs - Enable or Disable'

(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html)

If all else fails, you can try doing a Repair install before having

do a clean install. This will allow you to repair your Vista
installation without losing your files, settings, and programs.

'Repair Install For Vista'

(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html)

Shawn

Thanks alot for the help, it looks like alot of this could solve my
problem,
I have tried to boot in safe mode, and it does like a charm, so i
believe
your right. im just going to disable everything that isnt system
required,
and go from there.

One other thing you might be able to help with, the repair install.. I
have
a HP that i bought over the internet, and they didnt give me a disc,
how do i
go about this?

thanks again for the info, and ill update if it works.

Ervin,

You can contact HP and request a Vista installation DVD to be mailed to
you. There will probably be a small S&H fee. HP likes to use DVDs that
are basically only clones of the hard drive (Recovery DVD). Unless it's
a Express or normal Vista installation DVD, it may only be able to do a
clean install.

See:

'HP and Compaq Desktop PCs*-* Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set*'
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...bph07143&lc=en)

Shawn

Old November 30th 07, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ervinr82

Thanks alot, Well i found the problem, it was a service, 30 or so reboots
later, it was windows event log, do you have any idea why this would be
causeing me trouble? and how to remedy this? let me know! for the mean time,
i just disabled it, and it boots up like normal again. i apologize for the
slow response time, but im currently deployed to afghan ad it makes it tough
to get good interent connections. thanks again

-rob

Old November 30th 07, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
brink[_2110_]

Ervinr82;530470 Wrote:
Thanks alot, Well i found the problem, it was a service, 30 or so
reboots
later, it was windows event log, do you have any idea why this would be
causeing me trouble? and how to remedy this? let me know! for the mean
time,
i just disabled it, and it boots up like normal again. i apologize for
the
slow response time, but im currently deployed to afghan ad it makes it
tough
to get good interent connections. thanks again

-rob

Rob,

The Windows Event Log service is used in about everything in Vista.
Strange thing is that it usually causes problem when it is disabled. LOL

You might check you other services against this advice guide to see if
any other services are not set properly to your needs.

'Windows Vista Services Explained'
(http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Old April 4th 08, 01:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
zhangzhirong

I think this could be due to unspecified changes to the operating system
like visual studio 2003 update.

I restarted vista by pressing the off switch, then press it on again.
It comes to a prompt at startup for restoring system at the last known
working condition and that all personal files are not touched.

After restoring, I checked the windows update again and it asked me to
update the service pack for visual studio 2003. Dont update.

--
zhangzhirong

Old January 24th 10, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ubidlower

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 running windows vista business 32 bit that
was hanging on the welcome screen during boot up! I went to dell and put
in the ID Tag # for my unit then downloaded the newest WLAN driver and
installed it. This has fixed the problem. I did not nor could I have
guessed that this was the cause. After reading about it in these and
other forums, all pointed me to the download and it worked.

--
ubidlower