Where's my HD?!

Old December 1st 07, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CharlieHelen

Default Where's my HD?!

Hi, just finished building my first computer and all OK 'til installing Vista
Premium 64 - On the installation screen it sees the 500gb drive I want for
storage but not the 320gb one I want for the OS (both brand new, same model
just different capacity so same driver, both recognised in the BIOS) Have
installed Vista on the 500gb drive in order to get online help and vista now
sees the 320gb drive (it also formatted it) However, when I try to install
Vista again the installation screen only gives the 500gb option.
Any suggestions on how to get Vista from one drive to the other would be
hugely appreciated, answers for the technically challenged please. Cheers!
Old December 1st 07, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

Are both drives the same type e.g SATA or PATA? It sounds like the 320 GB is
on a different controller that needs a driver.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old December 1st 07, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CharlieHelen

Hi Kerry,
Both are SATA drives (both WD xxxx AAKS)
Have just tried setting the 320gb to 1st boot (ch 0, master) and the 500gb
to 2nd (ch 1, slave) in the BIOS hard drive boot priority then booting from
the DVD to try and reinstall, choose custom install (upgrade option is
disabled) but i get the same problem - only the 500gb is seen. The
highlighted options at the bottom of the page are 'Refresh' 'Delete' 'Format'
'Load Driver' the options 'New' and 'Extend' are not highlighted.
I've also tried the upgrade installation from within Windows but that
doesn't even give me a choice of drives/partitions, just goes straight on
with upgrading files so i stopped that.
The 320gb drive is formatted and assigned drive letter 'D' and seems to be
working fine (I copied a music file to it, played and then deleted it) It
just seems invisible on installation startup and although things seem to work
OK as they are I would really like this sorted as i would like to RAID 5 the
500gb drive later.
HELP! and Thankyou

Old December 2nd 07, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CharlieHelen

Don't think so, not even sure what a "Tweak" program is! All I have on my
machine is Vista 64, Norton security and the various drivers for GPU, monitor
etc. Was hoping to sort this before I put anything on as i'll have to
uninstall everything at some stage to change the drive the OS is on

Anyone else?