vista WON'T boot with 4gb

Old December 5th 07, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Violent Ken[_10_]

Default vista WON'T boot with 4gb

i will try raising to voltage, but what speed is the ram now?

--
Violent Ken

Ultimate x64\Q6600 G0\8800GTS\4Gb Crucial 1066 Ballistix\Gigabyte
P35C-DS3R
Old December 5th 07, 09:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
papa G[_3_]

My memory is running at 1066 at 5-5-5-15. I've noticed some instability
in OCCT though and it's not overclocked which is worrying. I'm at work
now so I'll fiddle tonight. Was there a slight difference in appearance
in the heat-spreaders with your memory chips? There is in mine. I wonder
if the actual chips in the memory are different and are causing hassles
(even though they shouldn't be... that's a motherboard problem).

--
papa G
Old December 6th 07, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
papa G[_4_]

Hi Ken,

After fiddling around and looking on forums it seems the motherboard
has a problem with 4GB of performance memory. There are also X38 chipset
Gigabyte boards with the issue. 3GB of memory will work fine but as soon
as you put in the 4th it is difficult to get running at 1066 unless you
raise the voltage quite high (2.3V - 2.4V). If you have overclocked your
FSB or CPU then you won't be able to run it at 1066Mhz.
I also emailed Gigabyte tech support and received this:
Please ensure load optimized default is set in the main BIOS, and check
the RAM timings and voltage is set in the BIOS under M.I.T to the
manufacturer spec.

Alternatively please see the memory support list:-

http://uk.giga-byte.com/FileList/Mem...-p35c-ds3r.pdf

Basically they're saying Crucial isn't on the supported list so they'll
do nothing.

The sad news is I'm now getting rid of my GA-P35C-DS3R mothboard
because of the issue. I'm going for the Abit IP35.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
-G

--
papa G
Old December 30th 07, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bent Bryrup

I have a similar problem. Vista 64 has been running perfect with 2G memory on
a AM2 6000+ processor. When installing additional 2 G's Vista hangs during
boot. The last driver loaded is CRCDISK.SYS. The bios recognizes 4G and
booting XP from boot CD gives no problems. I have tried the kb929777 patch,
but this did not solve the problem.

Please do anybody have another suggestion.
Best regards
Bent Bryrup

"Brett I. Holcomb" wrote:

Check the MS Knowledgebase - there is a fix for issues with 4 gig.

Here's an article - it's for install
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:44:07 -0600, Violent Ken
wrote:

help me vista gurus.

after using this PC about 1 month i finally got my RMA replacement of
2gbRAM

everything is 100% stable with 2GB, but when i add the 2nd 2gb vista
will not boot.

something about sptd.exe failed or corrupt. however BOTH 2gb kits boot
vista and work perfectly alone, but all 4gb in at once will not boot

any ideas? i know the memory is fine

thanks in advance as i cannot figure this out

Old December 30th 07, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

Yes, it is the 4x1GB 800 dimms issue. I have it myself. The MS patch
addresses the issue on some machines but by no means all.

The fact that XP x86 runs fine with the 4 dimms installed is not indicative
that everything will work when a 64-bit OS is installed. On my machine I
can run x86 OS's with 4GB installed but I have to remove memory to run an
x64 OS or the computer will blue screen.

This usually occurs with 800 memory. 667 seems to be OK and the problem has
much to do with timings. The first thing to check for is any BIOS updates
that address stablility using 800 dimms. Another fix often showing up in
the mobo forums is to back off the memory voltage from 2.0 to 1.95 (or until
stability is achieved) on mobos that support overclocking and that provide
adjustable settings in the BIOS.

As far as I can tell, there is no single fix that works in every case.

Since present my mobo doesn't support a quad core cpu I am about to replace
the mobo and cpu on Thursday. I have put up with the issue for a year.
This time I did a lot more research into which mobo will work out better.

"Brett I. Holcomb" wrote in message
news
There was/is an issue with Vista and 4 gig and I believe MS has a fix
for it. Sorry I don't have any details but search on Vista not booting
with 4 gig.

Old December 30th 07, 11:49 PM posted to alt.os.windows-vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

On 30-Dec-2007, "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

everything is 100% stable with 2GB, but when i add the 2nd 2gb vista
will not boot.

Can depend on the brand of memory, and the chips
memory organisation.
Crucial and a few others are using the D9HNL
memory chip (Google for D9HNL) .
I'm running 4GB of Crucial D9HNL based memory,
and Vista Ultimate 64bit, with no stability or
booting problems.
Not impossible but a quality PSU might help,
I note that during boot ASUS (processor) Q'fan ramps
up to top speed, suggesting that during boot
the CPU is running 100%, so boot may
be the PSU's worst case load.
After boot everything go pretty well silent.
I'm using Antec, but there are many PSU's that
are much better than the cheap ones packaged
with some cases.
Old December 31st 07, 03:41 AM posted to alt.os.windows-vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

Of course. Some mobos and memory combinations have no trouble at all.
Anyway, I am not troubleshooting it. I am replacing mine. My post was in
response to the OP.

Old January 1st 08, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Buff69King

Ken, please read the information posted by Mr. Brett Holcomb, it is a little
further down the page and has a download link to an update file. You will
have to boot and install Vista with 3 Gigs or less of RAM, then install the
update from windows, then power down and install additional memory modules,
but it works, and worked well on my Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition.

I am not sure why the Windows Update utility does not offer this at least as
an optional update, I would have thought it would be under an important
update category, but it should resolve your RAM issues.

Old January 1st 08, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

It's because the hotfix has not been tested sufficiently yet to release
generally. There are hundreds of such hotfixes that apply to only a small
number of users. A lot of them get included in the next service pack. Some
remain highly specialized fixes.

news