Vista Banter

-   Security and Windows Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/security-windows-vista/)
-   -   Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003 (http://www.vistabanter.com/89075-cant-open-msg-eml-attachments-outlook-2003-a.html)

Duane December 2nd 07 03:05 AM

Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

Have Vista Home Premium on new computer. Since transferring my Office 2003
SB Suite, I can not open attachments. This includes file types such as above
that are not on the list of forbidden file types. I can save them and turn
them into objects in word, but they are mostly a mess- hex code with some
english, no formatting. I've added the Level1 parameter to my registry with
these parameters as arguments. That hasn't helped.

I do not find a "don't open attachments" checkbox that I can uncheck in the
security tab of options.

Can anybody help?

Mr. Arnold December 2nd 07 04:24 AM

"Duane" wrote in message
Have Vista Home Premium on new computer. Since transferring my Office
2003
SB Suite, I can not open attachments. This includes file types such as
above
that are not on the list of forbidden file types. I can save them and
turn
them into objects in word, but they are mostly a mess- hex code with some
english, no formatting. I've added the Level1 parameter to my registry
with
these parameters as arguments. That hasn't helped.

I do not find a "don't open attachments" checkbox that I can uncheck in
the
security tab of options.

Can anybody help?

How about right-clicking the file in Explorer, going to Properties and see
if the file has an Unblock button?

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I] December 3rd 07 09:28 PM

Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

How did you go about the transfer of the .PST file? If you exported it on
the old machine and imported it on the new one, you've probably corrupted
your Outlook profile, a known issue with Outlook's .PST import/export
function. If this is what you did, create a new Outlook profile on the new
machine, make a COPY of your old .PST file (with Outlook closed) on the old
machine, place this copy on the new machine in a folder where it will NOT
OVERWRITE any existing .PST files, then re-connect Outlook to it using
'File|Open|Outlook Data File'.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

Duane[_3_] December 6th 07 03:49 PM

Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

I've found the solution to the problem:

With the help of Microsoft, a solution has been found to the problem of not
being able to open some or all file types attached to email messages in
Outlook 2003 on Vista: the Google Desktop is blocking the action. As a
work-around:

Go to add-ins: Tools.Options.Other.Advanced Options, Add-In Manager button
and, if the Google Desktop addin is checked, uncheck it.

This solved the problem of not being able to open and view attachments.

[email protected] December 10th 07 02:55 AM

On Dec 6, 10:49 am, "Duane" wrote:
I've found the solution to the problem:

With the help of Microsoft, a solution has been found to the problem of not
being able to open some or all file types attached to email messages in
Outlook 2003 on Vista: the Google Desktop is blocking the action. As a
work-around:

Go to add-ins: Tools.Options.Other.Advanced Options, Add-In Manager button
and, if the Google Desktop addin is checked, uncheck it.

This solved the problem of not being able to open and view attachments.

"Mr. Arnold" MR. wrote in l...

"Duane" wrote in message
Have Vista Home Premium on new computer. Since transferring my Office
2003
SB Suite, I can not open attachments. This includes file types such as
above
that are not on the list of forbidden file types. I can save them and
turn
them into objects in word, but they are mostly a mess- hex code with some
english, no formatting. I've added the Level1 parameter to my registry
with
these parameters as arguments. That hasn't helped.

I do not find a "don't open attachments" checkbox that I can uncheck in
the
security tab of options.

Can anybody help?

How about right-clicking the file in Explorer, going to Properties and see
if the file has an Unblock button?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you! This has been driving me crazy.

robinb February 11th 08 03:44 PM

Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

can you explain to me which program you are doing this workaround in?
windows mail? Google Desktop? Ie Browser? where?
robin

[email protected] April 18th 13 06:51 AM

Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

Hello,

Don't be panic you can open EML Files into PST File with the help of Kernel for EML to PST Converter Tool.You can get more information from here http://www.emltopstconversion.org/