Vista does not recognise USB mouse

Old December 4th 07, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron B[_2_]

Default Vista does not recognise USB mouse

"Ian D" wrote in message

"Aaron B" wrote in message
I was using Vista Ultimate 32bit with this Dell system with PS/2 mouse.
I bought a new USB mouse to replace the broken mouse.
But when power up Vista, it does not recognize this new USB mouse.

I check this USB mouse at my laptop, and this mouse works fine.

How can I make Vista to switch from PS/2 to USB mouse?
Thank you.

This shouldn't affect things, but you never know, - is legacy USB
support enabled in the BIOS? Did your USB mouse come with a
USB to PS/2 adapter you can try?

I tried this same mouse with PS/2 adapter to my other computer running XP.
This mouse works, both ways with PS/2 adapter and USB plug.
The problem is this new Vista computer does not pick up the USB connection.

Old December 4th 07, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron B[_2_]

"the wharf rat" wrote in message
In article ,
Aaron B wrote:

How can I make Vista to switch from PS/2 to USB mouse?
Thank you.

Try booting with both mice installed and see if it finds it then.

This Vista computer only able to pick up the PS/2 mouse.
It does not recognise the USB mouse.
Even this same USB port works with my flash drive.
This same USB mouse works on my XP laptop.

Old December 4th 07, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron B[_2_]

"Destin_FL" wrote in message
Something I have found true almost every time in Vista that I don't
remember having to do in XP.... I don't say it as a bad thing, just a
lesson I have learned over the past couple of weeks with Vista.

Go to Device Manager and 'scan for hardware changes' - XP was nearly
flawless about rebooting, and there magically was your new hardware
device, but Vista will not do that. You have to force Vista to scan the
system for the new hardware, i.e. changes.

I installed a new/separate/additional hard drive (internal, in a bay next
to the main drive) and tried 47 ways from Sunday to get the drive to show
up. Not in device manager, not in disc management, nowhere... reboot
reboot, blah blah blah.... finally went into device manager and did Scan
For Changes and the drive showed up immediately. Kind of a DUH moment for
me.

I had to do the same thing to get a PCI card of USB ports to show up. I
suspect your mouse may be the same deal.

Tim

But I am unable to do anything with the USB mouse plug in. Becuase this
Vista
does not recognize this mouse. Without a mouse, I am unable to open device
drivers.

Old December 4th 07, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron B[_2_]

"Destin_FL" wrote in message
The way I am arriving the Click the Start Orb go to Computer
right-click on "Computer" When you right-click, choose Manage.

Wonderfully what you'll see in your device manager and also you disc
management. So let's say youre looking for an device, say a hard drive
that isn't showing in Device magr OR disc managment. Very odd.........
BUT...... happily there is a solution.

In the devise manager, highlihght the grouping where the new hard drive
should be, Upon hightlighting disc drives in Device Manager, right0click
and scan for hadware changes,

Works like charm for finding all sorts of contrary devices!!

Unable to click anything when I got no mouse.

Old December 4th 07, 06:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
the wharf rat

In article ,
Aaron B wrote:
does not recognize this mouse. Without a mouse, I am unable to open device
drivers.

control-escape, and then use arrow keys and return to select!

Old December 4th 07, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Here is a kludge of the first order, but it might work.

Use your USB/PS2 to start up with the ps2 mouse configuration.
Get to device manager and get ready (highlight the scan for hardware).
Unplug the ps2 configuration, plug the mouse into the USB then using the
keyboard 'click' the button (usually the space bar or the enter key).

Michael
Vista Home premium

Old December 4th 07, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron B[_2_]

Aaron B wrote:
does not recognize this mouse. Without a mouse, I am unable to open device
drivers.

control-escape, and then use arrow keys and return to select!

I just tried. I can move from icon to icon, but nothing else works in Vista.

Old December 5th 07, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
maximus

I'm having a similar issue with a few devices, but when I scan for hardware
it finds them. Issue is it then searches for drivers. These are devices
which should be plug and play, no drivers provided. However it just keeps
asking for me to insert CD with drivers. Any thoughts?

"Robin" wrote:

Do you know if "scan for hardware changes" is on all the Vista versions? I
can't find it on home premium.

Old December 10th 07, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DellCA

@AaronB-

This is John, a support analyst at Dell headquarters.

There are a lot of good suggestions here in this thread, and I
apologize for taking so long to find it. You may need to get and use a
PS/2 mouse in order to fix the problem, since it is a lot easier to
follow the suggestions given by everyone if you can use a mouse.

John
Dell Customer Advocate

--
DellCA