Realtek Microphone Monitor - Here's how

Old December 4th 07, 11:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
uspino

Default Realtek Microphone Monitor - Here's how

Sigmatel drivers have a well known solution to monitor the Mic Input
through speakers/headphones in Vista, by adding EnableMonitorInput in
the registry. It only worked with Sigmatel. I finally found a similar
solution for Realtek drivers.

Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001\AD1981\Disable

There are two binary keys in there, "MicV" and "MonR".
Both have 01 values.
Change them to 00 so they won't be disabled anymore.
Restart.
Now you can go to Speakers in "Playback devices", hit "Properties",
then "Levels", and there you have it: you can Mute/Unmute microphone
monitoring and even set a preferred level.
Now you can also record your Skype conversations.

Good luck.

--
uspino
uspino's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36584

http://forums.techarena.in

Old December 11th 07, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Hi,

I have installed the latest Realtek drivers (December 5) ... but the
0001 folder does not have an AD1981 subfolder. Which version of the
driver are you using? I am willing to downgrade the driver, as I badly
need to hear myself while recording guitar ...

Nihal

Old December 12th 07, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
uspino[_2_]

I'm using 6.10.1.5180.
My audio chip is the ADI1981HD, I think is an HP variation of the
latest Realtek sound chip. There's a newer driver, but I haven't tried
upgrading.
Did you try looking for "MicV" and "MonR" in other parts of the
registry?

Good Luck.

Old December 18th 07, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

I'm using the onboard HD Audio chipset on a Toshiba A215-S7422
satellite.

I tried looking for "MicV", "MonR" and other abbreviations for mic,
recording, monitor, etc. There were no results.

I am trying various drivers for now.

Nihal

Old June 23rd 08, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jerry campbell

Hi,
Did this problem ever get solved? I just got an HP laptop with
Realtek HD audio, with Vista Home Premium and I have the same problem,
not able to monitor the mic.
Like Nihal, I need to be able to hear myself play.
Thanks
Jerry

--
Jerry campbell
Old July 14th 08, 06:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
William Billard

No really, IS there a solution to this? If i can't solve this i would
have just bought a typewriter

--
William Billard
Old September 25th 08, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neutrion

Dell ships its notebook computers with the ability to monitor the input
jack turned off. This means that you can't hear an audio signal routed
through the mic or line-in jack even though you can record the audio and
hear it when you play back the recording. An edit in the Windows
Registry will enable monitoring and let you hear the audio in real time.

There are 3 different sets of instructions below, sorted by operating
system and audio chip:

Models with Windows XP and a Sigmatel STAC 975x Audio Chip

Models with Windows XP and a Sigmatel STAC 92xxHD Audio Chip

Models with Windows Vista and Sigmatel STAC 92xxHD Audio Chip

================================================== ===========================================

Models with Windows XP and a Sigmatel STAC97 Audio Chip

This first set of instructions is only for these and similar models
with the Sigmatel STAC97xx audio chip running Windows XP :

Inspirons 1100, 1150, 1200, 2200, 2600, 2650, 5100, 5150, 5160, 6000,
8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 300m, 500m, 510m, 600m, 700m, 710m,
XPS/XPS M170, XPS gen2 etc.

Latitudes D400, D410, D500, D505, D510, D600, D610, D800, D810 etc.

Precision Mobile Workstations M20, M60, M70 or any others with the
Sigmatel STAC97xx chip and Windows XP.

On these models running XP, monitoring can be restored by editing the
Registry subkey DisableMicFromPlayback.

[It is wise to create a System Restore point before editing the
Registry. To create a new Restore Point go to Start/Help &
Support/System Restore and tick 'Create a restore point'. Even better is
to save a backup copy of the Registry by using its 'Export' utility.]

1. Go to Start menu and click on Run. Type 'regedit' without quotes and
click OK to open the Registry.

2. At the top of the list, highlight My Computer.

3. Under the Edit menu, select Find.

4. Type in 'DisableMicFromPlayback' without quotes and click 'find
next'.

5. Highlight DisableMicFromPlayback. Right click on it and select
Modify.

6. Highlight 01 and change to 00. Click OK.

7. Optional (but 8600 users should do this) find "EnablePoPBypass" and
set the value to 00.

8. Optional (but 600 & 6000 should do this) find "DisableMicSelect" and
set the value to 00.

9. Exit the Registry and restart the computer.

Next, configure the system mixer:

1. Open Volume Control by right clicking on the speaker icon on the
taskbar, or go to Start/Control Panel/ Sound & Audio Devices
Properties/Advanced (button).

2. Under the Options menu, select Properties.

3. Under 'show the following volume controls' check the box next to
Microphone. Click OK.

4. A mic control appears in the Volume Control. Make sure the mute box
is unchecked.

5. If your external audio source (a stereo or tv tuner etc that you
have connected to the mic jack) has a way to control its volume level,
turn it down to control excessive input volume.

(Thanks to forum member dilleyo who figured this out, and to jk79 who
later clarified and explained it to me in terms I could understand. I
have put it into this step-by-step format for those of us who are not
familiar with editing the Registry.) This is the direct Registry path to
the key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\C ontrol\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005\Settings.

================================================== ===============================================

Models with Windows XP and a Sigmatel STAC 92xxHD Audio Chip

The following set of instructions is only for these and similar models
with the Sigmatel 92xxHD audio chip running Windows XP :

Inspirons B120, B130/1300, 6400/E1505, 9400/E1705, E1405/640m, XPS
M140/630m, 1420, 1520, 1720

Latitude D420, D520, D620, D820, etc. and any others with the Sigmatel
92xx HD chip and Windows XP.

On these models running XP, monitoring can be restored by editing the
Registry subkey EnableInputMonitor.

[It is wise to create a System Restore point before editing the
Registry! To create a new Restore Point go to Start/Help &
Support/System Restore and tick 'Create a restore point'. Even better is
to save a backup copy of the Registry by using its 'Export' utility.]

1. Go to the Start menu and click on Run. Type 'regedit' without quotes
and click OK to open the Registry.

2. At the top of the list, highlight My Computer.

3. Under the Edit menu, select Find.

4. Type in 'EnableInputMonitor' without quotes and click 'find next'.

5. Highlight EnableInputMonitor. Right click on it and select Modify.

6. Highlight 00 and change to 01. Click OK.

7. Repeat "find next" (F3) several more times and keep changing values
to 01 until the "EnableInputMonitor"'s coming up are of the proper
value.

8. Find a key named "EnableIntSpkrMute" and change its value from 01 to
00.
Old October 5th 08, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ThibodauxOnline

Does anyone have a fix for this on an Acer TravelMate 5720 running
Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3?
Realtek Driver Version is 5.10.0.5672 dated 7-10-08.

I have tried the fixes on this thread but cannot find the files.

Thanks.

--
ThibodauxOnline
ThibodauxOnline's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/thibodauxonline.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 24th 08, 05:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KP

Option 3 (SigmaTel on Vista Ultimate) worked perfectly on my Dell Inspiron
1420 laptop. Thanks, you saved a week of my life!

"Neutrion" wrote:

[...]

Input Monitor. Click OK.

4. Make sure the mute box is unchecked. Unfortunately the slider itself
will be frozen in place and won't control the outputted volume.

(Thanks to forum members emann15 and The Performing Flea for figuring
this out. I have put it into this step-by-step format for those of us
who are not familiar with editing the Registry). This is the direct
Registry path to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005\Settings\filter\Rear

================================================== ===============================================

Models with Windows Vista and a Sigmatel STAC 92xxHD Audio Chip

This set of instructions is only for models with the Sigmatel 92xxHD
audio chip running Vista (see the above section for the partial list of
models with 92xx chips). This Vista edit is known to work but might not
work for all of the models on the list .

On the models with a 92xxHD chip, monitoring can be restored by editing
the Registry subkey EnableInputMonitor; however this value is not
included in the Registry of Windows Vista operating system and so you
must type it in.

[It is just good common sense to create a System Restore point before
editing the Registry. To create a new Restore Point go to Start/Help &
Support/System Restore and tick 'Create a restore point'. Even better is
to save a backup copy of the Registry by using its 'Export' utility.]

1. Go to the Start menu and click on Run.

2. Type 'regedit' without quotes and click OK to open the Registry.

3. Using the + signs in the left pane, navigate through the registry to
get to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\filter\SpeakerHp

4. Click on the key SpeakerHP to select it. (Some systems seem to lack
this key. In that case do this at 'Settings'.)

5. In the right pane, right click and select New Binary Value.

6. Type 'EnableInputMonitor' without quotes and then press Enter.

7. Right click on the new name and select 'Modify'.

8. In the 'Value data' box, add 01 to the existing 0000 to make it 0000
01, then click OK.

9. Exit the Registry and restart the computer.

10. After restart, enable input monitor in Audio Properties.

(Right click your speaker in program tray. Click Playback devices.
Right click on Speakers/Headphones and click properties. Click on levels
tab. You will now see a box saying input monitor. Click the speaker
picture to unmute it.)

(Thanks to DellCommunity forum members ethan_hines, fuzzy34, and chef
moore for figuring this out.)

--
Neutrion
Neutrion's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/neutrion.htm

Old December 23rd 08, 12:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bluemoon786

uspino;534850 Wrote:
[...]

uspino's Profile: 'uspino's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
Support Forums of India'
(http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36584)
View this thread: 'Realtek Microphone Monitor - Here's how - Vista
Hardware Devices' (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=865259)

'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Hello guys

I have HP pavilion dv6560 and that have Realtek sound card driver
version 6.0.1.5384 and there is no sub folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001\AD1981\Disable you ask for the change please help me because I want to monitor sound
when I speak into microphone

Thank You.

--
bluemoon786