Another Realtech audio problem !!

Old December 5th 07, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Coles[_2_]

Default Another Realtech audio problem !!

Like previous unresolved posts I too am having problems with a Realtech
ALC660 audio chip on an Asus M2V mobo. Vista premium wants to install its own
hd audio drivers which dont work !. When i install the vista compatible
Realtech drivers they work fine until reboot and the hd audio drivers
reappear. Have spent three days trying to resolve this. Would welcome any
suggestions at all please.
Old December 5th 07, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

From experience, it appears that the Realtek HD audio drivers have to be run
twice between reboots -- first, to remove older drivers, reboot (Windows will
install it's generic drivers which can be ignored), then the Realtek driver
installation has to be run again to actually install the newer drivers after a
second reboot.

Or you can first manually remove the Realtek audio driver in Device Manager --
being SURE to check the box to delete the driver files -- then remove the
Realtek HD Audio Manager in Control Panel (Classic view) Programs and
Features. REBOOT -- if Windows installs generic HD audio drivers, just ignore.
Then run the downloaded Realtek drivers (ver. 1.82) and REBOOT again.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old December 5th 07, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Coles[_2_]

Thanks for that. I have done as you suggested, in fact I have tried just
about every way you could think of to install the Realtech drivers and get
them to stick. After one or two reboots the problem still reoccurs however
and the Vista high def audio driver reappears. I have been building systems
for some years and am used to installing drivers but this is a new one on me.
Any further thoughts greatly appreciated.

From experience, it appears that the Realtek HD audio drivers have to be run

Old December 5th 07, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Well, that is truly a bitch, isn't it?

The only other thing that I can think of is: after uninstalling the device and
deleting the driver files in Device Manager, uninstalling the Sound Manager in
Programs and Features, rebooting, and maybe, by right clicking the Realtek
driver file and selecting "Run as Administrator", you might have better luck.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek HD drivers countless times (they
seem to release a new version with minor improvements about every two weeks),
and have had no problems at all.

Good luck.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"John Coles" wrote in message
Thanks for that. I have done as you suggested, in fact I have tried just
about every way you could think of to install the Realtech drivers and get
them to stick. After one or two reboots the problem still reoccurs however
and the Vista high def audio driver reappears. I have been building systems
for some years and am used to installing drivers but this is a new one on me.
Any further thoughts greatly appreciated.

From experience, it appears that the Realtek HD audio drivers have to be run