Windows Fax and Scan Security Permissions

Old December 5th 07, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Thomas

Default Windows Fax and Scan Security Permissions

Hello all,

I recently tried Windows Fax and Scan and changed the security permissions
under ToolsFax Settings. All I did was to let Everyone have Full Access to
Fax and Scan.

I just tried to access ToolsFax Settings again today but was denied with a
message: "You do not have security permissions to complete this operation.
Contact your fax administrator for more information."
When I click "OK" on the dialog box, another dialog box pops up saying:
"Access is denied." Under the details button I get: "Access is denied. (5,
11000001080).

I am currently the admin of the local and domain levels. So technically, I
should have full access and control to all settings. I don't know why this
is. I never denied permissions as I know deny takes precedence over allow.

Can someone please help me with this? Thanks in advance.
Old December 5th 07, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Could you provide a more complete account of how and why you changed these
security settings and how many User Accounts you have set for this
partition? This sounds like more of a UAC issue than a WFS issue.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old December 5th 07, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Thomas

Hello again,

To be more specific:
1. Opened Windows Fax and Scan
2. Navigated to Tools Fax Settings Security tab
3. Checked on all options for "Allow" for the following users: Everyone,
Domain Admins, Administrators (for local machine)
4. Clicked OK.
5. Exited Windows Fax and Scan.
6. Upon re-opening of the program, I encounter the problem as listed in my
first post.

Old December 6th 07, 02:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

And the rest? What were you trying achieve? How many User Accounts are set
up for this partition? How is this not a UAC issue? What happens if you
elevate WFS?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 7th 07, 07:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Thomas

The only current user on this workstation is myself. The account is a domain
administrator account for the entire domain structure. I also have elevated
privileges on the local workstation as well. I was only ensuring that
Everyone would be able to modify fax settings, not just admins and owners.
UAC has been turned off as well. All security is monitored through the domain
but I have not made any domain wide changes before and after the setup of WFS.

Hopefully this will help shed some light.

"Thomas" wrote in message
Hello again,

To be more specific:
1. Opened Windows Fax and Scan
2. Navigated to Tools Fax Settings Security tab
3. Checked on all options for "Allow" for the following users: Everyone,
Domain Admins, Administrators (for local machine)
4. Clicked OK.
5. Exited Windows Fax and Scan.
6. Upon re-opening of the program, I encounter the problem as listed in my
first post.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Could you provide a more complete account of how and why you changed
these
security settings and how many User Accounts you have set for this
partition? This sounds like more of a UAC issue than a WFS issue.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news Hello all,

Old December 7th 07, 10:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Never seen it. Still suspect a UAC/Security issue. I'll see if the Fax
developers have any comment, but I'd also try a security group.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

news Hello all,

Old December 11th 07, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I checked with the fax developers. They cannot repro your problem, but admit
they would never make such setting changes because it opens the door for
someone to make changes to the permissions that you wouldn't want. They
recommend just giving Fax permissions to everyone and keep the rest (manage
server config) to yourself.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

[...]