Adding memory in Vista64?

Old December 6th 07, 02:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Exit Only Once

Default Adding memory in Vista64?

I built this machine to work on Vista64, so it is not my main machine.

The original machine is:
ASUS M2R32-mvp
AMD 5600+
2GB G.skill memory
ATI 2600XT x 2 (crossfire)

I used the defaults on the BIOS except to turn off the floppy interface.

Machine runs fine. I'm writing this note on it.

I thought I'd try to put some more memory in it, and purchased 4GB of
the same manufacturer, and same timing.

When I install, the machine will run Vista64. The BIOS checks run fine,
BIOS sees the additional memory, the initial windows bit with the
scrolling line shows up, and goes away.

Then nothing. No disk activity.

After waiting a while, I shut down and restarted. Got the "windows did
not ... window, and had it boot to safe mode. Safe mode launched ok.

Looked around a bit in safe mode, nothing obvious.

Rebooted, reset BIOS to defaults. Same results.

Shut down and removed 4GB memory sticks. Everything works fine.

Suggestions?

Is this most probably a memory problem? or is there a known problem with
my MB/VideoCard combination and larger memory?

My next step would be to take the original 2GB out and put the 4BG in
those positions, but I thought I'd ask for advice first.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Gordon

Old December 6th 07, 04:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
brink[_2197_]

Exit Only Once;535933 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Gordon,

Here is the Microsoft fix Brett was referring to.

'Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that
uses more than 3 GB of RAM: \"STOP 0x0000000A\"'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777)

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old December 6th 07, 05:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Exit Only Once

brink wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Here is the Microsoft fix Brett was referring to.

'Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that
uses more than 3 GB of RAM: \"STOP 0x0000000A\"'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777)

Shawn

Thanks for the fix. I'll try it, though it seems to apply more to folks
that are having problems installing. Maybe I just delayed the problem by
starting out with only 2GB for my initial installation.

The reason I want the extra memory is that I work with some pretty large
video files, it would be nice to not work the swap file so hard.

Gordon
Old December 7th 07, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Exit Only Once

Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
Check the knowledgebase as there are problems with 4 gig and 64 bit.
There is a fix that can be applied. Sorry but I don't have the links
handy.

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:27:54 -0800, Exit Only Once

Have now tried applying the patch from KB929777 = same result

Also tried upping voltage on memory to 2.1V with all timing set to
standard = same result

All the memory I am using is from the same manufacturer S.Skill
Timing CL4-4-4-12 2.0~2.1V

Get the same failure if I take the original 2x1 = 2GB sticks out and put
the 2x2 = 4GB in the same positions.

Any other suggestions?

Wait for MS to get their act together?

Gordon
Old December 8th 07, 03:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

What do you expect MS to do. If your MOBO supports greater then 4GB of ram
and you have the latest BIOS updates for it installed and your BIOS settings
are in accordance with the following links AFAIK there is nothing else MS
can do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Old December 9th 07, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Exit Only Once

JW wrote:
What do you expect MS to do. If your MOBO supports greater then 4GB of
ram and you have the latest BIOS updates for it installed and your BIOS
settings are in accordance with the following links AFAIK there is
nothing else MS can do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

MOBO BIOS reports all 6GB and all test OK.

In my case, I can get into safe mode, but not launch in full, I suspect
a conflict between drivers for video or some other hardware.

Since quite a few folks with various hardware are having problems with
4GB+ and Vista64, I think there is something in the memory management
code that isn't working quite right. Some report success by slowing down
the memory clock, but that hasn't worked for me.

Since the reports of a problem go back into the beta days, I expect to
see some improvement as patches come out from MS and the hardware
manufacturers. Since MS sold the OS as being able to use more than 4GB,
it would be nice if it did.

Gordon
Old December 15th 07, 04:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Exit Only Once

Default Temporary resolution - Adding memory in Vista64?

Exit Only Once wrote:
I built this machine to work on Vista64, so it is not my main machine.

The original machine is:
ASUS M2R32-mvp
AMD 5600+
2GB G.skill memory
ATI 2600XT x 2 (crossfire)

The motherboard supports more than two sticks of memory, but only at a
reduced rate (333), according to the book. Found that this one won't
even do that.

Best solution for me was to leave the 2x1GB sticks on the work bench and
run with only the 2X2GB sticks in the first two slots.

Seems to be up and stable now.

I should learn to read the latest manual before purchasing. This is the
second ASUS board that I have that will not support a full memory
compliment at the full rated speed.

Thanks for the help.

Gordon
Old December 15th 07, 05:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
brink[_2330_]

Exit Only Once;545167 Wrote:
Exit Only Once wrote:

The motherboard supports more than two sticks of memory, but only at a
reduced rate (333), according to the book. Found that this one won't
even do that.

Best solution for me was to leave the 2x1GB sticks on the work bench
and
run with only the 2X2GB sticks in the first two slots.

Seems to be up and stable now.

I should learn to read the latest manual before purchasing. This is the
second ASUS board that I have that will not support a full memory
compliment at the full rated speed.

Thanks for the help.

Gordon

Gordon,

I'm glad you got it up and running stable now. Thank you for the
feedback.

Shawn