Old February 13th 10, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Shannon Murphy

Default Contacts Only are Not Searchable

The convo here got branched off before this branch came to an end.

My situation is that the indexing IS selected to do Outlook files and contacts I search for are not found. It seems that everything else (including email text) IS available, however.

(I do not have a company-wide Global Address Book.)

Thanks,
Shannon

Dave Wood [MS] wrote:

I don't recommend doing what is suggested below - it won't make any difference
14-Aug-07

I don't recommend doing what is suggested below - it won't make any
difference as Outlook is searched through the MAPI mail interfaces not
through the file system. Is e-mail in Outlook searchable, but just contacts
don't work, or is neither searchable? If you open the Indexing Options
Control Panel and click Modify, do you see Microsoft Office Outlook and if
you expand that node do you see your mail stores listed?

Vista search {32- or 64-bit} should search Outlook contacts. But note if you
have a company-wide Global Address Book that won't be searched.

"brink" wrote in message

On Monday, August 13, 2007 5:44 PM
chunne wrote:

Vista 64 Search is not seeing any of my Outlook 2003 contacts.
I just installed Vista 64. Search is working fine and pulls up tif's and
doc's etc... However, it is no longer finding contacts from Outlook 2003.
Is there some setttings that I need to change? I have already had the index
start over from scratch and that didn't solve the problem. Will the 64 bit
system just not find 32 bit Outlook files?

On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:41 AM
brink wrote:

Vista 64 Search is not seeing any of my Outlook 2003 contacts.
chunnel;419686 Wrote:

Hi Chunnel,

You might try adding or including the file type and folders for Outlook
to what will be Indexed. You can look at this link for how to do it.
It may do the trick for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...g-options.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*

On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:43 AM
Dave Wood [MS] wrote:

I don't recommend doing what is suggested below - it won't make any difference
I don't recommend doing what is suggested below - it won't make any
difference as Outlook is searched through the MAPI mail interfaces not
through the file system. Is e-mail in Outlook searchable, but just contacts
don't work, or is neither searchable? If you open the Indexing Options
Control Panel and click Modify, do you see Microsoft Office Outlook and if
you expand that node do you see your mail stores listed?

Vista search {32- or 64-bit} should search Outlook contacts. But note if you
have a company-wide Global Address Book that won't be searched.

"brink" wrote in message

On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:00 PM
chunne wrote:

Dave,I disabled Search in services and rebooted and re-enabled it and now,
Dave,

I disabled Search in services and rebooted and re-enabled it and now,
surprise, it is indexing contacts, calendar items, journal entries and email.

The question I now have is this. Search drives me crazy because it makes my
hard drive go constantly, and I mean just that. I have a RAID 10 system with
about 600 GB of useable memory. I have disabled my paging file because I
think I have enough RAM. I have disabled Restore because that never works
anyway. So Search is the only thing making the disks go. I disable Search
and it quiets the hard drives tremendously. So, what I would like to do is
just have Search work only a specific area for specific documents. I only
want it to search Outlook and My Documents (doc, txt, tif, pdf, rtf, docx,
xml, dot [etc]). I've been in that control panel that you spoke about, but
can't remember how I got there. So what settings would I have to use in
Search to get it to concentrate on what I just spoke of?

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:26 PM
chunne wrote:

Vista 64 Search is not seeing any of my Outlook 2003 contacts.
Dave,

Never mind. I think I have it all figured out.

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:43 PM
brink wrote:

Vista 64 Search is not seeing any of my Outlook 2003 contacts.
chunnel;420569 Wrote:

Dave,

Glad to here you got it.

Yeah, if you disable the "Windows Search" Service, then it disables the
Indexing feature leaving you with the more thorough search. You can
adjust the settings for search in Folder Options. See this link for
more on search options if you need it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75...h-options.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*

On Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:35 PM
Shannon Murphy wrote:

Outlook Contacts Only Not Showing up in Search
The convo here got branched off before this branch cam eto an end. My situation is that the indexing is selected to do Outlook files and contacts I search for are not found. It seems that everything else (including email text) IS available, however. (I do not have a company-wide Global Address Book.)

Thanks,
Shannon

WPF Custom Validation Using the Enterprise Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ation-usi.aspx