Laptop fan control

Old December 7th 07, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ricardo.l

Default Laptop fan control

On my Acer laptop (which I recently bought together with Vista Premium) when
I go out of standby the fan doesn't stop running at max speed.
It doesn't make sense that, being power settings at min level, during normal
operation it just switch on once in a while (and not even at max speed,
judging from its noise); and as soon as it wakes up it's impossible that it
needs cooling down anything hot.

I wonder whether this is a buggy Vista driver rather than a poor hardware
design behavior, for which Acer would be responsible instead.
In the first case I would ask for suggestions on how to switch fan off
without rebooting the system each time (making standby feature useless).

Thanks a lot,
Ricardo
Old December 7th 07, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

If you bought Vista installed on the machine, then the whole thing is Acer's
problem. Hopefully one of the whiz kids here can help you with a tweak.

Old December 8th 07, 01:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ricardo.l

"Wandering" wrote:

If you bought Vista installed on the machine, then the whole thing is Acer's
problem. Hopefully one of the whiz kids here can help you with a tweak.

Yes, the OS was pre-installed as OEM license. Hoping to find a tweak,
meanwhile, I'll ask them about it, because I am wondering whether this is to
be considered something to fix by returning the machine to support service
(or instead if all these laptops have the same, poor, fan behavior.)
However, I hope this is due to some driver to update (but they should tell
me which one).
Thanks for your feedback,
Ricardo
Old December 8th 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ricardo.l

No bios settings, but on booting there is no wrong behavior.
It arises on wake up after one goes standby or hybernation.
Thanks though,
Ricardo

"Brett I. Holcomb" wrote:

Have you checked the BIOS to see if there are settings for the fan
such as auto, full on, etc. I had that on a rack mount system - the
vendor shipped it with the BIOS set to full on and it was noisy!

Old April 29th 09, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
miln

I have the same problem. My laptop however is a toshiba preinstalled
with vista home premium. I do not remember the problem before a few
months ago. Theres reason to believe its a microsoft/software/update
issue. Since it 'appeared' suddenly and on two different models of
laptops...

on 64 bit vista -- that might be important?

--
miln
miln's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95015.htm

http://forums.techarena.in