External HDD Drive is not Detected / Driver is not getting install

Old December 7th 07, 02:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barath

Default External HDD Drive is not Detected / Driver is not getting install

Hi,

I recently bought a WESTERN DIGITAL External HardDisk.

I have Three Desktops Two running Windows vista, One running Windows XP and
One Laptop Running windows XP.

Desktop 1 SPECS

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+, 1 GB DDR 400 RAM, 80 GB SATA SEAGATE + 160 GB SATA
SEAGATE, nVidia Geforce 5200FX, NVIDIA NFORCE 2 BOARD, OS : WINDOWS VISTA
ULTIMATE

DESKTOP 2 SPECS

AMD ATHLON X2 5600+ (DUAL CORE), 2GB DDR2 800 RAM, 320 GB WESTERN DIGITAL
SATA HDD, AMD 690G BOARD. OS: WINDOWS VISTA

DESKTOP 3 SPECS

AMD ATHLON 3000+ , 1 GB DDR 333 RAM, 80 GB SEAGATE, SYSTEM MANIFACTURER: HP,
OS : WINDOWS XP

LAPTOP 1 SPECS

INTEL CENTRINO 1.7 GHZ (SINGLE CORE), 512 MB RAM, LAPTOP MANIFACTURER :
COMPAQ, OS : WINDOWS XP.

i also have 3 external HDD. 1. SAMSUNG 2. SEAGATE 3. WESTERN DIGITAL.

Now the Desktop 1, with Western Digital Harddisk inside , when plugged in
External HardDisk of Same Brand (Western Digital) , detects the hardware ,
and does not install the driver.

In DESKTOP 2, With Seagate HDD inside on SATA interface, when plugged in
Western Digital Detects n Installs the Driver Automatically , but when
plugged in Seagate external HDD it does not detect at all.

in Desktop 3 : NO PROBLEM IN HARDWARE N DRIVER INSTALLATION

IN LAPTOP 1 : NO PROBLEM IN HARDWARE N DRIVER INSTALLATION.

THE SAMSUNG DRIVE IS DETECTED IN ALL THE SYSTEM.

Thus, from this i can identify that Windows Vista has some problem in
identifying the external HDD (USD HDD) when is of same brand as of Internal
HDD.

If this is true. Then what is the solution ?

If this is not True ? Then why is the other drivers are installed without a
problem while Vista does not install. XP Does it perfectly well..

I have Two Ultimate Licenses. dont say it is dumb...

thanks.

Old December 7th 07, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_2_]

Go to 'System' in Control Panel and bring up the Device Manager. Open up the
USB section and see if there is any problem with one of the USB entries.

If there is, select it and use the option to update the driver.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Old December 9th 07, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barath

Default External HDD Drive is not Detected / Driver is not getting ins

There is no driver required / the driver is not provided by Western Digital
As is not required for Windows XP/2000/Vista.

In windows Vista , under the system Desktop 1. With Seagate HDD inside it is
just installing without problem. But with Western Digital Internal HDD it
does not install.

I very well know how to update the driver by going into system in control
panel.

Thanks.

Old December 9th 07, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barathn[_2_]

barathn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36767
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=866796

http://forums.techarena.in

Old December 9th 07, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barathn[_3_]

UPDATE:

I tried using same machine and installed Windows XP on VMWare.

I tried to use the USB. It just detected n works inside VMWARE XP on
Same Machine.

Attached ARe the Screnshots.

1. Under Vista

[image: http://www.barathonline.com/blogimag...d/ex_img1.jpg]

2. Same Machine , XP on VMWare

[image: http://www.barathonline.com/blogimag...d/ex_img2.jpg]
3. Different Machine with Seagate external HDD.

[image: http://www.barathonline.com/blogimag...d/ex_img3.jpg]

Old December 10th 07, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barathn[_4_]

Barath;3368509 Wrote:

3. Different Machine with Seagate external HDD.

[image: http://www.barathonline.com/blogimag...d/ex_img3.jpg]

3. Different Machine with Seagate Internal HDD.

Old January 24th 08, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
wirelesswaggon

"Barath" wrote:

[...]

I too have problems with a usb hdd. Two computers, one with vista home basic
and the other with vista 64 ulitimate. The problem..... the external usb hdd
does not appear in the 'control panel' but can be seen in the 'device
manager', but you can not do anthing with it.... It looks like a vista
software problem to me..... Tell me if I am wrong, and if so how to make it
appear as available storage

Thanks