4GB or 3GB physical memory for 32 bit wondows vista

Old January 20th 08, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Default 4GB or 3GB physical memory for 32 bit wondows vista

That doesn't matter much. Take it to 4GB if you like. Notebook ram is not
the same as desktop ram where you have a pair of dual channel dimm slots.
On a notebook don't worry about things like dual channel. After all, if you
were running with one memory slot in use you could hardly have been in some
sort of dual channel mode anyway. The power requirement will not be very
much. Notebook ram is designed with that in mind.

"ProDigit" wrote in message

"JC" wrote:

I have 4GB of physical RAM, windows vista shows only 3326MB. Does it
really
help with performance if I have 4GB or should I just install 3GB memory?
just bought the additional 2GB memory (had 2GB before) and wondering if I
should exchange for a 1GB one. Thanks.

Maybe interesting would be for notebooks!
If my notebook only has 2 slots, and I have 2GB stick installed, and
wished
to increase RAM should I install 1 stick of 1GB, or 1 stick of 2GB?
If I would install 1GB, I'll have more then enough RAM, but the question
would be, would it still be Dual channel compatible or something?

If I'd install a 2GB stick, would my notebook use considerably more energy
then using only a 1 Gb stick?

I have experimented with my 2x1GB/2x512MB DDR PC5300 SODIMM Memory sticks,
and the benchmarks told me that my system was faster using 1x1GB then
2x512MB.
Also my system was faster using 1x2GB instead of 2X1024MB.
Now I want to know if it'll be faster using 1X2GB, or 2X2GB.
Ofcourse the LARGE Memory benchmark tests show that 4GB will be better
then 2.
But in many cases the LARGE benchmark tests are not-real life, unless you
do video/photo editing, or play lots of games on your laptop.

That's not the case with me, I just want the smaller applications to run
smoothly.
By adding a 1x2GB RAM stick, I've been able to increase my VISTA
experience
from 3,0 to 3,1 (since my videocard uses 64MB shared memory), and yes I
know,
it's an 'older' laptop.

So all of the tested memory was Kingston value memory; DDR, on a Sony Vaio
notebook.

I don't have any explenations as to why; but these where just but my
observations.
I would like to know what this 'Dual channel DDR'-theory is. (I'm just
running a 32-bit processor, and am not thinking about upgrading it to a 64
version).

Old January 21st 08, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David[_15_]

the 32bit versions of XP and Vista are limited to 32Bit address space, this
has to include space for all hardware mapped into the address space as well,
so you will never see your full 4Gb of memory (I see 3326MB on my machine).

Old January 23rd 08, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
scrummage

i was reading this thread looking for an answer to some thing else and RICK
you might be able to help me.
is there any way i can install 32 bit software onto 64 bit vista, does the
32 bit control panel let you do this in any way, and im not sure if i saw a
32 bit programe bit in vista somewhere.
i am still a bit new to all this cpu stuff so if my question is a bit stupid
i`m sorry.

thanks scrummage.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

Hi,

If I recall correctly, Itunes' software is not 64-bit compatible. Until they
release a version that is, you cannot use it on an x64 system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe" wrote in message
Perhaps you can help me. This is a different issue. I downloaded Itunes
and
it said it was not installed correctly on my Vista 64 operating system. I
reinstalled it a total of three times and even did a "repair" install from
Microsofts "install/delete" control. Now it will not install at all. Any
ideas?

"Gene K" wrote:

About any question pertaining to Windows RAM is answered On Crucial's
site.
Start he http://www.crucial.com/support/index.aspx?tabid=sc1 .

Gene K

Old January 23rd 08, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Most 32-bit software will install to a 64-bit system and run in 32-bit mode
without issue. The problems occur when the software includes device drivers,
such as the iTunes software, as these must be signed, compatible 64-bit
drivers or the software, even if it can be installed, will not operate
properly.

Old January 23rd 08, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Brian W

"Rick Rogers" wrote in message
Hi,

Most 32-bit software will install to a 64-bit system and run in 32-bit
mode without issue. The problems occur when the software includes device
drivers, such as the iTunes software, as these must be signed, compatible
64-bit drivers or the software, even if it can be installed, will not
operate properly.

There is now a specific 64-bit version of iTunes. You can download it from
the Apple site if you are running Vista 64.

Old January 23rd 08, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

It is a 32-bit x64 compatible program with mostly x86 modules and two x64
modules. By no means is it a fully 64-bit program.