Speaker icon missing from sys tray

Old December 7th 07, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
churin

Default Speaker icon missing from sys tray

Speaker icon for volume control is missing from the system tray. This is
with a brand new notebook PC I just bought. Otherwise, audio is working
just fine. Could anyone help?
Old December 7th 07, 10:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Right click in the taskbar area
select properties
notification area tab
system icons
should have a box to select for Volume

Michael

Old December 8th 07, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
churin

Michael;

Thanks for your response.
I followed your suggestion and saw 'Volume' and 'Network' under System
Icons. But both are grayed so I could not add check marks. What could be
wrong?

PS: Network icon is also not shown on the system tray.

Churin

Old December 8th 07, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
churin

I contacted vendor's techsupport. He could not explain why. I let him
examine my PC through remote access session. He was doing what I had
done and he could not tell why those are grayed. Then he switched the UI
from Classic to the default UI, and those two icons all of a sudden
showed up on the system tray. I reverted the UI back to the Classic and
the icons fortunately stayed on. He was saying he switched the UI
because the default UI is more convenient for him to use not because he
suspected the Classic UI.
The problem must be a bug related to the Classic UI. The first thing I
did with this PC was to switch the UI to the Classic but if I configured
the network and checked the sound system before switching the UI, then I
would not have this problem.
Thank you anyway for trying to help me.

Old December 8th 07, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Thanks for coming back with your solution. I will file it away (where I will
promptly forget it )
Who was your vender support, they should get a little credit! So much
discourse about venders support is 'how bad it is'.

Michael

Old December 8th 07, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
churin

I do not remember the name of the tech support but what you and other
forum reviewer are interested to know may be the vendor's name and the
specific model. They are Dell and the Inspiron 1501 being sold through
Walmart.

Old January 2nd 08, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
1986pacecar

What does it take for Microsoft to come out with a "patch" to fix the problem
with icons disappearing from the notification area? It's obvious from reading
the posts that there have been quite a few users experiencing the same
problem.