Borderless printeing with the deskjet 460c

Old December 11th 07, 02:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
muffinman

Default Borderless printeing with the deskjet 460c

I have a HP Deskjet 460c that works fine with my older XP machine. I have a
newer machine running Vista and it cannot print borderless photo's anymore.
There is always a small white border on each end. I've called HP several tmes
but they have no fix. Vista will not let me install from the HP CD, says I
need IE 5 or higher and then shuts down the installation. Has MS updated
their buggy driver for the HP 460c or do they even know there is something
wrong. I have a friend who just bought a 460c and his Vista machine does the
same thing so I know its not me. Thanks for any help.
Bob
Old December 11th 07, 11:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke

muffinman wrote:
I have a HP Deskjet 460c that works fine with my older XP machine. I have a
newer machine running Vista and it cannot print borderless photo's anymore.
There is always a small white border on each end. I've called HP several tmes
but they have no fix. Vista will not let me install from the HP CD, says I
need IE 5 or higher and then shuts down the installation. Has MS updated
their buggy driver for the HP 460c or do they even know there is something
wrong. I have a friend who just bought a 460c and his Vista machine does the
same thing so I know its not me. Thanks for any help.
Bob

This has nothing to do with Microsoft and everything to do with HP.
Microsoft does not write the drivers for hardware; the hardware mftrs.
(HP in this case) do. The HP CD only has older, non-Vista, drivers on it
and that it why it doesn't work on your new computer.

If the HP drivers are only basic ones for Vista that don't support the
more advanced printing options such as borderless printing and HP is not
going to write updated drivers for this older printer for Vista, then
that's the end of the story. Either 1) purchase a newer printer that
supports Vista and will do what you want; or 2) live with things the way
they are.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old December 11th 07, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

Have you followed the instructions in this HP document that is the
instructions for installing with VISTA?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...9911&lc=en&cc=
us&dlc=en&product=466208&os=2093&lang=en

If that is what you did then you are probably finding that the driver
"in the box" with VISTA is not fully featured as is the case for many
of them, not just for HP printers.

In article ,
Muffinman wrote:

Vista will not let me install from the HP CD, says I*
need IE 5 or higher and then shuts down the installation.

Try working around this by downloading the PCL3 driver from the HP
webpage:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=en&cc=us&dlc=
en&product=466208&lang=en

HP Deskjet 460 Printer Series PCL3 Add Printer Driver

The filename is dj4602en.exe 1/1 (10.26M) so make a note of where it
downloads to. DO NOT CHOOSE Run but use the Save option when that comes
up after you click on the Download button.

After you have downloaded this file, go to your Printers folder and
delete the icon for the DJ460c printer.

Then locate the file dj4602en.exe that you downloaded, right mouse
click on it and select Properties from the list of options.

On the Properties, select the Compatibility TAB.

Then check the box alongside Compatibility Mode and select XP with SP2

Then check the box on the bottom half of the TAB where is says Run as
Administrator and OK your way out.

With any luck that should install the PCL3 driver.

If you still do not get borderless printing then someone is telling you
it is a good time to get a new printer -- I faced a similar situation
with my DJ722c and got a PS8250 which is a wonderful printer; it's been
replaced now by another similar model using the 6 02 VIVERA inks.

Let us know how you get on.

Old December 12th 07, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
muffinman

Thanks for the info. I kind of know HP just wants you to upgrade however the
DJ460c is their "travel printer" and they have not come out with a
replacement yet. I will try the other sugestion of downloading the additional
drivers and get to you guys. THANKS again, I do fear HP just doesn't care
about the full drivers for tjis printer and we will soon see a replacement
for it.

Old December 14th 07, 01:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

What did you install? Just the driver?

Did you install the Printer Toolbox: DJ460_Toolbox_en.exe 1/1 (4.37M)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...softwareitem=b
i-49384-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=466208&os=2093&lang=e n

If not try installing that using the instructions on that download
page.

I've an idea that it or something like it is needed to make the printer
work.

If that fails look here in this newsgroup section for a message from
Alan Morris -- "Alan Morris [MSFT]" --
and ask him for help since he has a very good line into HP's
development people.

Let us know how you get on.