Old May 2nd 10, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Brink

Default Windows Defender

Hello GrtArtiste,

You might consider using "Microsoft Security Essentials" instead. It
will turn off and replace Windows Defender automatically during it's
installation. It provides much better virus, malware, and spyware
protection.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Hope this helps,
Shawn

GrtArtiste;1260525 Wrote:
Is this program even remotely useful? I've had it for 2 years now on
this Vista 32-bit Home Premium (Dell Inspiron 530). I've accepted all
auto-updates whenever they've occurred. Whenever it is run, 1 of 2
things will happen. Either it will report no detections and will say
the system is running normally, or it will report a problem that it is
always unable to deal with. Never has WD ever reported a problem that
it was able to correct. Today's problem is "BrowserModifier:Win32/
Fotomoto". Clicking on the link for more info, I arrive at a MS web
page saying the most recent definition update for this problem is
dated 11 July 2009. I fully expect that, as with previous detection
reports, the detection warning will disappear after the next update of
WD. Meanwhile, this computer gets frequent scans (usually twice a
week) with Malwarebytes and Avira Antivir and occasional scans with
Superantispyware. None of these has ever reported a problem at the
same time that WD does.

Should I just not bother? Should I just let it update itself (so I
won't be repeatedly bothered with update notices) and otherwise ignore
it? TIA.

GrtArtiste

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 8 Forums*' (http://www.eightforums.com/) - '*Windows 7
Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows Vista Forums*'