Old May 24th 10, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Default Reconfigure printer to USB port

Usually an issue with the USB to parallel conversion provided by the cable.
The 2100 took pretty generic PJL commands, but I've seen several people
reporting cable problems. I can only recommend the Belkin F5U002 cable. It
works great for an old HP 4L as well as several other vendors printers.
It's never failed.

Try looking through the Windows Forums for specific printer USB/parallel
cable combinations that work (or not).

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...rdware/threads

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Ron Smith" wrote in message
I have upgraded machines and the new machine only has USB ports on it (i.e.
no printer parallel port jack). I am having trouble getting my older HP
2100M printer running (i.e. had to switch the old parallel cable out for a
USB / parallel cable).

Sometimes I see a "USB Printing Support" in the Port list and sometimes i
don't. The printer seems to configure OK, but it still doesn't work (Test
page sent to the printer just sets in the queue).

I have downloaded the latest driver from HP, but it doesn't seem to
install.

Can anyone tell me how to get the darned thing confiugred properly.
--
Ron Smith in Round Rock