New PC won't boot

Old December 12th 07, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Paddock

Default New PC won't boot

Not strictly Vista, as I haven't got that far yet

I have just bought a new Medion PC from Tesco. I followed all the
instructions for cabling and connections, but on first switch on, there was
a continual beeping sound. (POST??) There was no display on the monitor, and
the PC wouldn't boot. It sounds as if the disk drives are spinning up. The
beeping continues until the PC is powered down

Anyone any ideas please - before I take it back.

Thanks,

Steve

Old December 12th 07, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Violent Ken[_13_]

you can try to identify the problem on this page.

'Computer Post / Beep codes' (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm)

if you know what kind of BIOS is has it will be easyier

--
Violent Ken

Ultimate x64\Q6600 G0\8800GTS\4Gb Crucial 1066 Ballistix\Gigabyte
P35C-DS3R
Old December 12th 07, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roy69[_93_]

Take it back. If you are getting bios beep codes there is a post
problem. This is a hardware error and it is down to tesco to
repair/replace the item under the consumer act free of charge. If you
try to fix it yourself you will invalidate the warrenty.
I dont think it is a post code as I have never heard of a countinual
beep unless there is a cooling problem.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
Old December 12th 07, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Just take it back. Don't mess with it or you'll make it worse. ;-)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old December 13th 07, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

You can count the number of beeps and based on our BIOS you can tell what
part is not working.
If you never see anything on your monitor then I suspect that I suspect that
it is not corrected properly. Maybe it is connected crooked so all pins are
not connected.

Old December 13th 07, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Don't start investigating the problem yourself, take it straight back.
Continuous beeping could indicate that the power supply unit is faulty,
especially if the pitch of the beep sound similar to a UK fire engine.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old December 13th 07, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Paddock

Thanks for all the advice. The PC has now been exchanged and all now seems
OK

"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
Don't start investigating the problem yourself, take it straight back.
Continuous beeping could indicate that the power supply unit is faulty,
especially if the pitch of the beep sound similar to a UK fire engine.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
this mail/post..