Old October 20th 09, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave-UK[_3_]

Default Still Can't Delete a file

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Dave-UK wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
I right click and hit delete on a file and I get
Item not found
This is no longer located in C:\Users\Justin\Downloads verify the
items location and try again.
The file is a MS Word docx, downloaded from my college's Blackboard
system.
I booted into safe mode (under the admin account) and ended up with
the same message.
I was told this could possible be an issue with Temporary Internet
files and IE - I use Firefox. Nonetheless, I cleared out the TIF on
both browsers and the file is still there.

Can you move the file to your desktop and delete?

No.

Can you right-click and Sento the recycle bin?

No.

If you rename it can you delete it?

No.

If you right-click Properties Security do you have full control?

Yes.

If not, can you edit permissions to give you full control?

n/a
If none of the above help then you could try taking ownership:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

I already have ownership.

How did you get ownership ?
You said you downloaded it from another computer onto your machine.
Right-click the file Properties Security Advanced Owner tab.
What does it say in the 'Current owner box'?
If it isn't you, you haven't taken ownership.