Old November 6th 09, 03:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
LVTravel

Default Copy and replace most recent file

"lmvk99" wrote in message

Hi,

I want to copy a bunch of docus in my files to a backup space, but I do
not simply want to replace all duplicate files with the ones I am
copying, I want it to work out which of the 2 files has been changed the
most recently and keep that one. I know I can keep a copy of both, but
there are just WAY too many files and I don't want to keep copies.

Does vista have the ability to do this?

--
lmvk99

I use a file synchronizing program (free for some uses) called Allway Sync
http://allwaysync.com Once set up it will copy the latest files from one
source folder to another and always keep the latest file no matter where the
latest file was created. I keep my laptop computers (3 that I use for
different purposes but all have the same data on them) and my desktop
computers (2 in different locations in the house) synced with my NAS servers
for my data and backup. If it isn't sure which file is the latest (because
of minor differences in the time stamp) it will not sync until you tell the
program which you want to keep.

I have used the Pro version (2 licenses) on my two most active computers
(there is a nag statement if you transfer more than about 40,000 files in a
month without the pro version) and the free version on the remainder of the
computers for about the last 5 months and have never had any problem with
the program at all. This was one of my best purchases ever for a great
little utility program. I have no financial or other connection to the
company other than a user.