Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Error message on start up

Old December 13th 07, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
jerodgers9

Default Error message on start up

I am running vista home premium and I've started to get the following error
messege on boot up,
'Failed on loading skin name "minibcont" The file "shell.css" is required in
you "sscommon/skins/minibcont/css/" directory'

any thoughts?

Old December 14th 07, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Rick Rogers

Hi,

any thoughts?

Yes, what shell customization program have you installed?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old January 16th 08, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
mcm

Hi

I appreciate this was posted some time ago, but I have recently also
had this problem on my new Dell Vostro 1000, running vista home premium.
Exactly the same annoying error messages appear at start up and I have
no idea why or where they have come from. Any ideas (other than
removing Dell Support Centre, because a previous entry suggested this
was of no use) would be very much appreciated!!.

Regards
MCM

--
mcm
Old January 16th 08, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke

mcm wrote:
Hi

I appreciate this was posted some time ago, but I have recently also
had this problem on my new Dell Vostro 1000, running vista home premium.
Exactly the same annoying error messages appear at start up and I have
no idea why or where they have come from. Any ideas (other than
removing Dell Support Centre, because a previous entry suggested this
was of no use) would be very much appreciated!!.

You're posting from one of those websites that looks like a forum but is
really just scraping Usenet posts. This means that because you didn't
quote any of the previous messages in the thread, no one knows what
"exactly the same annoying error messages" are. It would be far better
if you set up a newsreader to access these groups (easy to do), and I'll
give you information about that below.

In the meantime, you need to provide full details about your problem so
we can help you. See the "How to Post" section in the information below.

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief
explanation of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help
on Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

Other Newsreaders for Windows:
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php - Forte
http://www.mozilla.org - Thunderbird
http://gravity.tbates.org/
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old January 16th 08, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
mcm[_2_]

Apologies.

The error message is on start up of vista home basic (vostro 1000)

*'Failed on loading skin name "minibcont" The file "shell.css" is
required in your "sscommon/skins/minibcont/css/" directory'
*
Once clicked ok, the window comes up again which I have to close. This
file is not located on my local disk. A previous entry online suggested
removing the Dell support centre, but others say this didn't work for
them.

Hope this is enough info?

--
mcm
Old January 16th 08, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke

mcm wrote:
Apologies.

The error message is on start up of vista home basic (vostro 1000)

*'Failed on loading skin name "minibcont" The file "shell.css" is
required in your "sscommon/skins/minibcont/css/" directory'
*
Once clicked ok, the window comes up again which I have to close. This
file is not located on my local disk. A previous entry online suggested
removing the Dell support centre, but others say this didn't work for
them.

Hope this is enough info?

Things you could try:

1. Do a clean boot to see if something running at startup is failing.

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

2. Contact Dell tech support and see if it is a known issue to them.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
Old January 17th 08, 06:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
mcm[_3_]

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I ended up removing the DELL support centre
after all and the error message has not reappeared, so it's possible
that the two may have been related. Not quite sure why. Helpful for
future reference, to know how to do a clean boot .

MCM

--
mcm
Old January 17th 08, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke

mcm wrote:
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I ended up removing the DELL support centre
after all and the error message has not reappeared, so it's possible
that the two may have been related. Not quite sure why. Helpful for
future reference, to know how to do a clean boot .

MCM

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to post your solution.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
Old April 23rd 08, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
bradady4

I did not have to remove dell support center, I just reinstalled it, and
the error message went away.

--
bradady4
Old July 31st 08, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
anilyarki

hi guys.. m from dell tech support.... this is a known issue with dell
support and we are workin on a patch for this

--
anilyarki