Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Permissions

Old December 13th 07, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
CharlesMiller

Default Permissions

I am the sole account on my machine (and am therefore the Administrator) yet
I am constantly receiving messages that i do not have the Administrator's
permission to delete or even save some files. Whenever this happens I try to
change the properties for the file to allow access to all users but it makes
no difference. I wan t to have access to everything and be able to do with it
as I want. What can i do? I did not have this problkem with XP.
Old December 14th 07, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Ronnie Vernon MVP

"CharlesMiller" wrote in message
I am the sole account on my machine (and am therefore the Administrator)
yet
I am constantly receiving messages that i do not have the Administrator's
permission to delete or even save some files. Whenever this happens I try
change the properties for the file to allow access to all users but it
makes
no difference. I wan t to have access to everything and be able to do with
it
as I want. What can i do? I did not have this problkem with XP.

Charles

Experience has shown that permission changes can change the fundamental
behavior of the Vista operating system, resulting in seemingly unrelated and
unexpected behavior in other components or programs. These changes can
affect security, application compatibility, stability, and reduce
functionality, performance, and capability. You can compare this to pulling
one of the bottom cards out of a house of cards. Further, you may not be
able to undo extensive permission changes that are propagated throughout the
registry and file system by simply reversing the action.

Some things you may see if extensive permission changes are made:
The failure of user accounts to function as expected.
Reduction in security.
Standard users ability to view the contents of other users content, even
administrators folders.
Performance problems such as long logon times or system slowdowns.
Application compatibility problems or application crashes.

These are situations where the only way to get back to the out-of-the-box
settings may be to reformat the hard drive and perform a reinstallation of
the operating system.

If you really want things to behave the way they did in XP, you should
install XP.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old December 14th 07, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
CharlesMiller

Thank you, but I can't see why as the sole user I cannot grant permissions to
myself. I am not talking of deleting system files - yesterday it would not
even allow me to save an ordinary Word file.

Old December 16th 07, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Charles

You are free to make any changes you wish, it is your computer. I just feel
that users need to be warned of the possible consequences before making
wholesale changes to the OS.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"CharlesMiller" wrote in message
Thank you, but I can't see why as the sole user I cannot grant permissions
myself. I am not talking of deleting system files - yesterday it would not
even allow me to save an ordinary Word file.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

"CharlesMiller" wrote in
message

Old December 17th 07, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
CharlesMiller

Thank you for responding. How can I make those changes? I am the
administrator, yet I am frequently being told that I cannot make changes
without my own permission. I have gone into Properties and set the relevant
files to be accessible by all users, but I still cannot delete or even in
some cases save them in certain places.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

Charles

You are free to make any changes you wish, it is your computer. I just feel
that users need to be warned of the possible consequences before making
wholesale changes to the OS.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"CharlesMiller" wrote in message
Thank you, but I can't see why as the sole user I cannot grant permissions
myself. I am not talking of deleting system files - yesterday it would not
even allow me to save an ordinary Word file.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

"CharlesMiller" wrote in
message

Old December 18th 07, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
brink[_2376_]

CharlesMiller;547316 Wrote:
Thank you for responding. How can I make those changes? I am the
administrator, yet I am frequently being told that I cannot make
changes
without my own permission. I have gone into Properties and set the
relevant
files to be accessible by all users, but I still cannot delete or even
in
some cases save them in certain places.

Hi Charles,

You will need to take ownership of the file first, then you will be
able to modify it. It should work for you unless it's a symbolic link.
(EX: "My Documents" for "Documents" folder)

You can see how to in this tutorial.

'Take Ownership of file'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html)

Shawn