Old January 10th 11, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Dan Wakeman

Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

I found this to be true with Windows Server 2008 R2 also. R2 defaults to UAC enabled. R1 did not. The dialog box text gives no indication at all that UAC is involved. It just says "access denied" so every reasonable IT person looks at security and permissions. Turn off User Access Control. A reboot is required.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured the 2008R2 relation was worthwhile.

On Monday, February 25, 2008 4:31 AM markymark771 wrote:

Well trying to secure some files on a 2nd drive (D drive). I had set
it up to block access to everyone but me (the administrator). Now even
while logged on as the administrator I can't access the files on the
drive. I get a message " D:\ is not accessible", "Access is
denied"?????? What is up with that? So I tried to do a system restore
but without getting into pointless details on that, it didn't work. So
Trying to change the D drive security settings back to default I go
into Properties, Security, advanced, everything appears to look good
as the administrator is set to have "full control" of the drive. I
tried a few other logical options on there but nothing has
changed.Administrator is still denied access. So now that logic
doesn't work, what now?

On Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:02 PM MC360 wrote:

Update...I tried logging in as God but thats still does not give me the
authority to change anything.

On Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:16 PM TC wrote:

I am having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution???

"MC360" wrote:

On Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:46 AM Russell wrote:

I have a similar problem with Windows/XP.

If I select 'My Computer' and double click the second hard drive I get
"Access Denied". I can't find the blocker. No problem with the first hard
drive.

However, if I select 'Start', 'Run' and 'Browse', I can browse the drive
easily. Also, no problem if I access from an application such as Word or if I
access from the network.

On Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:37 AM MC360 wrote:

On Mar 5, 8:16 pm, TCT wrote:

Well......I have restored access to "D drive". The solution......no
clue. I haven't done anything I didn't try before. Actually I had
given up on it for a while but decided one day to see if more
repetitive tinkering would end in the same failure as before...this
time it WORKED!!!!! Why it worked this time and not the 20 previouse
attempts I can not say. For something that should be pretty straight
fwd & logical...my gut feeling is that its a Vista issue. Perhaps one
of the recent updates solved the problem? conclusion....No clue.

On Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:02 AM MC360 wrote:

On Mar 10, 11:31 pm, MC360 wrote:

Oh...as I play this Vista game once more....I am now once again denied
access to drive D, which I had full access to for the last 4 days now,
including this morning. So back to more pointless tinkering and
waisting my time with Vista issues since they wont just fix
themselves...do they?

On Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:57 AM MC360 wrote:

On Mar 5, 8:16 pm, TCT wrote:

Well...I found a solution to the problem. Disable the User Account
Control (UAC) feature.See the attached link for details. Not the
perfect fix but its a start.
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

On Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:13 PM help123 wrote:

Hey Man

I am not sure exactly what you did , but I went into properties of
accounts and in security tab I make changes in the access to drive then
when I logged back it said to me Access Denied on c drive even though I
was administrator.

Now what I did was , I restarted my windows went into safe mode i.e by
pressing F8 key before windows normal startup screen appears then I run
(run command from start) on run I typed regedit then went to EDIT menu
top next to File menu then in permissions I add one user (in my case I
had guest user already on so I put that user and give all access to that
user) after that I run win vista in normal mode and went to guest
account and right click on C drive which said Access Denied then in
properties , then security and then finally clicked on Authenticated
Users and click edit to make changes and allow all the features then it
said me access denied or can't do it I continue to press (continue
comand) as many times it came then finally I logged into my original
administrator account and got access to my drive and every thing was
back to normal.

I hope it will work for u too I was too frustrated but thank to God it
worked.

--
help123
help123's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/help123.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
JQuery Templates and the Topsy Otter Twitter Search API
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...earch-api.aspx