Old January 10th 10, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jellygator

Default Bizarre noise

Hi everyone. This is a question about a computer that doesn't have Vista, but I hope someone will have the kindness and knowledge to help me anyway. I'm an intermediate/advanced computer user. I just hooked up one of my old computers for the first time in a few years. I had bought another computer because I was having trouble ridding this one of a virus that was quite persistent. I got the virus off and used both computers for a while, until the monitor went out on the old one. I just bought a Sylvania television with computer input and hooked it up. Turned it on and discovered a rather loud alarm-like noise. It sounds for about 4 seconds every ten seconds or so. I turned it off and then back on without anything (monitor, keyboard, etc.) hooked up and it continues to make this noise. I removed the fan casing and confirmed it's not in the fan. I do not feel anything unusual on the hard drive. It appears to be coming from either the motherboard or the video or sound card. Does this sound familiar to anyone?