scanning w/ Vista

Old December 14th 07, 11:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
steven richards

Default scanning w/ Vista

I am trying to scan an employment application to edit and customize for my
business. I can scan the document but I can not make any changes to it. Can
anyone help me with this as HP has not been able to. I am using an HP
Officejet 5610 All in one. I am using the Vista program along with Office
2007 Professional. I am look to edit the text in the scanned document to
insert company name etc. and to set styles and themes to the document.
--
Steven R.
Old December 15th 07, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Dave

You can't easily edit an image file.
To get the image to an editable format you need to run a OCR program to
convert the graphics to text.
Since you have Office, you probably have a way to do this.
Look under Start - All Programs - MS Office Tools
and see if you have MS Document Imaging
(I have Office 2003, and I have this program, but I upgraded from XP, so I
have some stuff that carried over)

You can scan & convert to text with this program. You should be able to
save to a Word file. However, the formatting may get all messed up, so I
don't know if it will be all that usable.

Or, if your HP Director software works with Vista (mine doesn't), it should
have a OCR feature.

Old December 17th 07, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John[_22_]

"Dave" wrote in message
You can't easily edit an image file.

Sure you can, but not with Vista software. The software I got with my
Lexmark P6250 All-In-One had all the goodies you would want for improving
your image in software, but since Vista said they would do it now, I lost
it. You probably did, too.

Old December 18th 07, 03:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

When the OP says Edit I think you will find he means edit the text he
has scanned in but has not run through an OCR application to turn it
into editable text. IOW to change fonts or individual words or
spellings; to substitute his business name for the one in the document
he has "borrowed" -- he should think about copyright law, in case ...

As you say you can edit an image as an image but that is not often very
useful in scanning say a document for reuse.

Old December 21st 07, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John[_22_]

"huwyngr" wrote in message
.. .
When the OP says Edit I think you will find he means edit the text he
has scanned in but has not run through an OCR application to turn it
into editable text. IOW to change fonts or individual words or
spellings; to substitute his business name for the one in the document
he has "borrowed" -- he should think about copyright law, in case ...

As you say you can edit an image as an image but that is not often very
useful in scanning say a document for reuse.

OCR is not a part of Vista's scan software. It was included in my original
printer software for Win/ME, but I can't use it for Vista.

The best software I have found for doing this kind of thing is Microsoft
Publisher, mainly because it is easy to control the size of the objects.

John

Old December 21st 07, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , John wrote:

OCR is not a part of Vista's scan software.

I know.

The best software I have found for doing this kind of thing is Microsoft*
Publisher

But that does not include OCR does it? It didn't when I used it a long time
ago.

I'm confident that the OP wants to OCR and not to alter images but only he
knows.

Old December 21st 07, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ken Blake, MVP

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:54:37 -0600, "John"
wrote:

OCR is not a part of Vista's scan software.

Right. Microsoft does not make any OCR software. There are several
other companies which do.

It was included in my original
printer software for Win/ME,

Two points he

1. OCR has nothing to do with printers. It undoubtedly came with your
scanner, not your printer.

2. It has/had nothing to do with Windows Me. Rather, the OCR software
(probably a "Lite" version) you had was bundled with your scanner, not
Windows.

but I can't use it for Vista.

Which OCR program is it? Have you tried it with Vista? The old Lite
version of OmniPage (OmniPage SE) works fine under Vista.

The best software I have found for doing this kind of thing is Microsoft
Publisher, mainly because it is easy to control the size of the objects.

Sorry, I don't understand this at all. Publisher doesn't do OCR.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old December 21st 07, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

As I've tried to explain to John, he's jumped into a thread about OCR
and he is talking about image editing ......