Old August 8th 10, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chris K

Default Save hardware drivers

"Shenan Stanley" wrote in message
Chris K wrote:
Tried all install options, neither update my video driver - was
hoping it would eventually update my video driver so i can
uninstall it afterwards - not blaming you, just explaining that
'just' downloading a driver is no longer possible - every/all
drivers are now accompanied by lot software they know you dont want
- this was rather an exception in that it didn't even include a
driver
which brings me nicely back to my title/opening question - can you
save hardware drivers that are already installed - short answer is
yes they can be saved but can they be reinstalled - that i will
continue to persue

Downloaded the Catalyst software+Drivers package...
Used 7-Zip to unpack it to a directory...
Found the drivers he \$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\Display (from that
subdirectory of the directory where I extracted the full software
drivers.)

I installed full 'blown' package (took longer than MS Office professional -
god knows what it's done) and this time it did update my driver - then I
uninstalled the software but it un-installed the driver too

Downloaded 7-Zip - extracted the driver only - installed it half way where
upon it insists on installing all the trojan software - scrapped the idea

The old driver will last until my next OS install and I'll buy new graphics
card - one that is properly supported - praying that nobody will ever buy
ATI card - ever!

Cheers anyhow