Vista Banter

-   -   40 GBs of hard disk space gone (http://www.vistabanter.com/92111-40-gbs-hard-disk-space-gone.html)

John Morris December 16th 07 05:39 AM

40 GBs of hard disk space gone

My computer , a Sony Vaio, running windows vista , has a 105 GB harddisk,
even taking into account the whole 1000mb=1Gb v.s. 1024mb=1Gb issue, since i
am missing 40Gbs, that i cannot find, look at, or delete. I open up the
hardrive, highlight all the sub folders, and look at the properties, the
total GB count comes up as 65GB, but then I go to the computer as a whole,
and it shows the disk as full, 105 of 105 gb used. I have looked into
(ALL)temporary files, I have defraged my hardrive, I have done disk clean up
repeatedly, and i have conducted several disk scans. I cannot find were this
40gbs is going to; is there somewhere i just havent looked?

JW December 16th 07 04:09 PM

40 GBs of hard disk space gone

Some of the following could be the cause of reduction in indicated disk
space since I don't believe either show up when you add up the space.
Vista index files.
Restore points
A hidden system recovery partition placed on the drive by the system
manufacturer.